1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wow! Rabbits?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickschool, Dec 26, 2011.

1. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Does anyone have a clue how much a rabbit should be fed each day? Mine seems to eat non-stop...and poop non-stop. Isn't there a limit? [​IMG]

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I feed mine free-choice. They're grazers in the wild, so my pet rabbits seem like they eat all the time, but it's usually only a nibble at a time. Unless they're fat and need slimming, I'd just always keep feed in the feeder.

3. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

what kind of rabbit and how old ? rabbit poop is gold. [​IMG]

4. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Rabbits eat off and on through-out the day. However, it's recommended by most veterinarians to limit the pellets that adult rabbits
    are eating to prevent the rabbit from becomming overweight, especially in those bunnies who are spayed/nuetered. An adult rabbit
    can be fed 1/2 cup of pellets per day, per 6 pounds of body weight, being that they are getting unlimited timothy hay daily. Timothy
    hay will give them something to snack on, and keep the digestive tract clean and free of blockages and bloat which can both be fatal.
    The long fibers in the hay will push everything through the gut. It also keeps the teeth grinded down, though they should still be
    checked for being overgrown/crooked regularly. Even with limiting the food, a rabbit poops all the time. No stopping that.

-Ukiah

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  5. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:x2

6. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Mine are both "Heinz 57" so who knows. I'm not sure how much they weigh but I doubt either of them weigh 6 pound or more. I'm am so thankful that everyone said something about the Timothy Hay![​IMG] I had not idea that they need that 24/7. I thought it was just a treat. I'm sure they will be much happier now with an unlimited supply. [​IMG] Man I love this forum! You all ROCK!

7. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:They also make little toy hay wheels that will entertain them! Im getting some for my 2 babies this weekend!

8. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Hay is the most important part of the rabbit's diet. Should be there all the time, no matter what. It helps rabbits out alot being that they can get
    blockages from ingesting their own fur while cleaning themselves, or bloat from eating a new vegetable. Helps prevent that, plus helps keep their
    teeth in good shape. Alot of people here feed free choice, it's totally up to the owner. I personally prefer to limit. Saves food and prevents an
    overweight bunny. Good luck [​IMG]
    Quote:

9. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    A toy sounds great! They have a really big play area and spend a lot of time in the house but I do worry about them getting bored when we're not around. Awesome idea. Thanks.

10. TinyTotsSeramas

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by