1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WOW! Roxie out did herself.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Boo-Boo's Mama, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Roxie laid today (she doesn't lay each day) her largest egg yet--2.7! [​IMG] [​IMG] ETA: Roxie is a Barred Rock who lays a nearly white egg...long and oddly shaped.

-1.5: pee wee
    1.5-1.75: small
    1.75-2.0: medium
    2.0-2.25: large
    2.25-2.5: extra large
    2.5-2.75: jumbo
    above that they are considered unpackable/ungradeable.

I put some pumpkin in the oven to give them a warm snack since we are getting a cold blast today. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG]

3. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    that's great!! [​IMG] My pullets are starting to lay a few extra large eggs a week. They were hatched in March and April. My late older hens used to lay most extra large and jumbo, once got a 4 oz and a 4.2 oz egg.. Double yolkers [​IMG]

4. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Was Roxie's egg a double yolker?

5. redonthehead

redonthehead Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    How do you measure the eggs? I'm curious to know what mine are like... some of them are so huge that when we put them in the "jumbo" egg carton we can't even close the lid. [​IMG]

BTW - warm pumpkin! Yum! Bet they love it!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  6. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    Quote:I have both an antique egg scale that measures small, med, large and ex-large, but to check exact weight I use a small digital scale that measures in ounces or grams. [​IMG]

7. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:My DH bought me a Salter Brecknell 311 Electronic Office Scale at Office Depot. $29.95
    I wanted to be sure what size my eggs were in comparison to store-bought so I had an idea what to charge per dozen.

I will sell that egg. [​IMG] I sell the large eggs and we eat the smaller eggs.

Roxie was the last BR to lay and her eggs are not the same color as the other 2 BR's plus they have always been larger...long and lopsided.

One of my sex links laid a 2.5 egg a couple weeks back...today it was a 2.3...her's are rounder and not as long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by