Wow, super lucky! Coon crisis narrowly averted!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Nifty-Chicken, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

A half hour ago I was at my desk working on some stuff when my wife came in and said she just scared away a HUGE raccoon that had found some snacks our daughters accidentally left outside out back door.

I decided to go out and see if I could see the big bugger, so out I went with my Mag-Light. I saw him in the back yard watching me with his beady reflective eyes.

Just then I heard a noise by the chicken coop and as I turned my flashlight in that direction (only about 100 feet from where the coon was crouching) I saw our two ducks outside!!!

Fortunately I was able to scare away the coon and get the ducks inside, but I worry what would have happened had the coon found them before he found the snacks, or had my wife not heard him outside, or had I not noticed the ducks were out.

I really really hate raccoons and how they always put us on edge with our flock!

Now to figure out why the ducks weren't inside. It's possible our auto door is closing too early. Hopefully that's all it is because that's an easy fix vs. trying to change our duck's behavior!

[​IMG]

2. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    So glad your ducks are safe! Raccoons scare me more than Mountain lions and Coyotes. They are way too smart and very tenacious. One shot into the ground and the Coyotes will disappear for a couple of days but coons will come back 20 mins later! Ugh they are horrible!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I don't know WHY it is that ducks just wanna stay out late! Mine do too. When I lived at the house I rented, my Cayuga pair patrolled the property at night like Ninja Night Ducks. They would NOT go into any of the coops at night. Here, the ducks and geese do sleep in the coop at night, but they don't want to go in until well after dark has fallen.

I'm so glad you saw the raccoon and your birds are safe, now!

Dunno if you agree with me about those "Nite Guard" or "Night Eyes" units, but I swear by 'em. Raccoon predation of my goldfish ponds stopped the same day I installed 'em, down at the rental. I am using them up here on my new property and no problems with predators at night - so far. From July last year until now, and there are far more opportunities for wildlife to be roaming about up here in the Foothills.

4. SunnyDawn

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    OK Linda I'm all ears for anything that helps protect the animals but I just tried to look up the product you mentioned and I got hits for nothing but dental mouth guards for the first and a movie, a book, a band and the name of a security company for the other. Got a link to this product?

5. gryeyes

Here's the first: http://www.niteguard.com/

And here's the second: http://solarniteeyes.com/

I use both. Matter of fact, I'm going to order more to expand the perimeter, even though the flock is locked up in the coop at night. I don't want anything hunting for nummies anywhere on the property.

6. SunnyDawn

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Thanks for the links Linda.

Good luck with getting the ducks in at night Nifty.

7. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i'm glad to get the link for these nite eyes. gonna get one or two depending on cost.

8. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Everyone on the forums I visit that have niteguard swear by them. Do they come with instructions on placement? I have to admit, I love coons, I just don't want to feed them my livestock.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I'm working on an automatic door but I still like to go close the door and have a look see. Never know when something will go wrong with a fancy new time saver. It just scares me to. think about closing up something in the coop at night that don't roost and likes a late night chicken snack. [​IMG]

10. gryeyes

Quote:
    I check on mine too, but still let the door close itself. It was closing long before I got home from work, so I also made sure to check there wasn't anything hiding in the coop with the birds. So far, so good. The NiteEyes and NiteGuard lights are my "back up" plan - and so far they work fine even up here in the Foothills. I do plan on purchasing more of them to protect more of the yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by