WOW that was the worst try ever....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lswatson111304, Dec 17, 2011.

1. lswatson111304

lswatson111304 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Recieved 14 shipped eggs. All bad air cells THANKS USPS!!! [​IMG] Set them all. 10 start to develop. 5 make it pretty far. The last couple days all died but 1. Internal pip 2 days ago. As of this morning all there was was a tiny external pip. I checked on the baby. I couldn't help myself. You could see gooey slime. The chick couldn't move at all. I'm assuming this was a "sticky chick" I helped it out. I couldn't watch it sitting there unable to do anything. Got him out, and cleaned the slime off the best I could. He is a bit deformed, his 5th toes look strange. One leg isn't right either. It keeps going way behind his body. I keep repositioning him so that it is in the right spot, not sure if it will help. he is weak right now and not doing anything.. I hate this. I feel so terrible for him. I'm hoping and praying for a miracle and that this little guy will survive. HOpefully by the time I'm ready to order my next batch of eggs I'll have my new incubator set up and ready to go.

2. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I did 24 eggs last spring, and ended up after 25 days with a giant omelet. I'm trying again after the new year hoping to get alittle better. Good luck on your next hatch

3. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    he seems to be doing a little better! I know its still VERY early and premature, but he is starting to get his legs under him without my help!!!!
    Major praying going on for this little guy!

4. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Pushing and squirming during hatching is what sets the legs in the skeletal structure,
    which is why chicks who are helped out of the shell usually have leg problems. I would
    recommend giving sugar water as of now. (3 table spoons of sugar per quart of water)
    PolyVisol vitamin supplements whenever you can get some - should be in the baby isle
    of the grocery store. Somewhere around the baby food. 2-3 drops a day for chicks. Splint
    the leg with a band-aid: How to Splint the Leg With a Band-aid And
    Give some mashed up boiled egg yolk. Lots of prayers, good luck. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  5. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    yeah, I know helping causes issues but I really think he would have dried up and died in there with that goo. I splinted his legs a few minutes ago and I was wondering if giving him vitamins and electrolytes from the feed store will help? I have some of those...and well I tried to give him a drop already. I boiled an egg and I'm waiting for him to get a little stronger to see if he has an appetite.

6. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    is it better to do sugar water, or the vitamin/electrolyte?

7. Ukiah

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Quote:I've given both with the same results, honastly. So it's your choice. I just put a small
    pinch of electrolytes into a quart of water and mix it. Praying for your baby [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  8. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    Thank you. He seems to be staying upright with the splint.

9. Ukiah

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Quote:Stay close and watch him for awhile with the splint. Some chicks might tumble into a water dish or
    tumble over on their back and just 'give up'. Be sure he's used to it before you leave his side. This
    year I helped a shrink wrapped baby out of a shell - he was like your chick, only minus the slime.
    I put the splint on him, gave sugar water and boiled egg yolk and after 3 weeks of TLC he recovered
    and slowly was learning to use his legs. Don't loose hope, and maybe next time will result in a
    better hatch.

10. lswatson111304

Sep 18, 2009
    Milano, TX
    He is still in the bator, no food and water yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by