Wow, these things are big!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by AlbionWood, Aug 4, 2011.

1. AlbionWood

AlbionWood Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    Now I really understand the attraction of the CX. I thought we were supposed to process at 8 weeks, and was figuring ours might be a little undersize because they actually do range around a bit (raised by broody hens). But at 7 weeks the males are already bigger than we wanted, we're getting dressed carcasses around 6 lbs. The breast filets are immense, a meal for both of us from one half! Huge thighs as well, and those funny short drumsticks.

We roasted one today, with Purple Viking potatoes, Walla Walla onions, and Touchstone Gold beets, all from the garden; and washed it all down with cider from our orchard. Talk about a local diet!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    You cooked all those lovely veggies (the Purple Viking Potatoes especially [​IMG] ) . . . . . With a CornishX?

[​IMG]

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I was impressed with their size too!! Processed mine at 8 weeks and they were HUGE!!

4. AlbionWood

AlbionWood Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    Yup! They were all delicious, too, even that big fat bird had noticeably more flavor than store chicken.

If it makes you feel better, I do still have some Delaware meat in the freezer, for very special occasions. The difference in flavor and texture is remarkable.

Those PV taters are something, aren't they? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by