Wow..they grow fast!

smthgrly

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2015
My chicks are only a week old and already felt like they were outgrowing original brooder (plastic tote). Husband and I built a new and improved brooder last night to help with the growth of these flighty gals.
yippiechickie.gif
They really love getting on the perches we put in. It seems to give them the chance to spread their newly feathered wings a little.

Here's one gal just chillin' on her perch:

My chicks are only a week old and already felt like they were outgrowing original brooder (plastic tote). Husband and I built a new and improved brooder last night to help with the growth of these flighty gals.
yippiechickie.gif
They really love getting on the perches we put in. It seems to give them the chance to spread their newly feathered wings a little.

Here's one gal just chillin' on her perch:

Very nice, you did a great job! We built something similar, with perches too! The main difference is that my heat lamp attaches out side the wire top on a 2x4 so we can move the lamp up to lower temps as they grow. How heavy is yours? Mine takes 2 people to carry (oww, my back) not the greatest feature
hmm.png
but it works for the birds.
smile.png

It only weighs about 10 lbs. Used lightest plywood because that's what we had left over from building the nesting boxes.

As soon as they get another week older the light will be adjusted to outside the brooder. As of now, it is zip tied inside to warm them a bit more. I only have a 75w red bulb and it does not heat quite enough outside the brooder for this stage in my little chicks' lives.

they grow so fast. I took pics of mine weekly but i swear they grow sometimes in 1 day a great deal.. mine 5 weeks and huge each week I have had to add to my brooder..ur setup is nice I been lazy LOL cloroplast and duct tape LOL

My chicks are only a week old and already felt like they were outgrowing original brooder (plastic tote). Husband and I built a new and improved brooder last night to help with the growth of these flighty gals. :yiipchick They really love getting on the perches we put in. It seems to give them the chance to spread their newly feathered wings a little. Here's one gal just chillin' on her perch:
Hello, im new to this forum and have just recently built a brooder for my chicks. I like how you added a perch for them to hop up on. I didn't know they could get up there just yet, mine are maybe couple of weeks old and are doing great. I think im going to add a perch like you did. How high is it off the ground? Thanks

Hello, im new to this forum and have just recently built a brooder for my chicks. I like how you added a perch for them to hop up on. I didn't know they could get up there just yet, mine are maybe couple of weeks old and are doing great. I think im going to add a perch like you did. How high is it off the ground? Thanks

We put three different perches in at three different levels. This gives them the opportunity to learn on the lower one (about 3 inches high) and then get more and more confident on the upper ones (8 inches high and about 12 inches high). After the first day half of my chicks have already mastered the highest one and enjoy hanging out on it. I put the highest one in the "cool" zone of the brooder. They hang out on it until they need a bit of a warm up and then they go to the lowest one (located adjacent to the "warm" area). It's amazing how fast they picked up on this.

That's awesome, I'm going to do that tonight when I get home. I'll post pics after. I was also thinking of converting this brooder into a larger coop once they get big enough. Or do you guys recommend building a separate one. I don't plan on having more than about 6 chickens so I don't think I will need this setup later down the road so that's why im thinking of converting it to a closed in spot where they can lay eggs. Thanks guys

Well, I added a small branch from one of my trees. Its only about an inch or so off the bedding so hopefully they can start off on that and I can add higher ones as needed. What do you guys think?

Well, I added a small branch from one of my trees. Its only about an inch or so off the bedding so hopefully they can start off on that and I can add higher ones as needed. What do you guys think?

Yup, the old diagonal wedge branch thing
tongue.png
I've done that many times! Just make sure they can't get stuck under it. They'll be able to jump 3 inches in no time! The way your wire is, you should be able to give them a few different heights easily! you're doing fine!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom