1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wow, think they hated useful animals

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by GBov, Dec 15, 2009.

1. GBov

GBov Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    This is from our city ordinances.......................

Sec. 14-3. Prohibited animals.
    (a) Specific animals. It shall be unlawful to keep, maintain or raise in the city the following animals:
    (1) Any artiodactyla (even toed) or Perissodactyla (odd toed) ungulate, including but not limited to animals in the genus Bos (cows), all species; Ovis (sheep), all species; and Capra (goats), all species; and all other hoofed animals.
    (2) Any animal belonging to the family Phasianidae or family Anatidae, all species, including but not limited to, chickens, roosters, turkeys, peacocks, geese and ducks.
    (3) Any dangerous animal.

Dont think they missed anything useful [​IMG] but what does "including but not limited to" actually MEAN?

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I think homo sapiens are pretty useless myself, but they're allowed everywhere. Go figure.

3. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Quote:It means if you somehow catch them up they can say 'that's a prohibited animal too

---It's like saying 1-8 inclusive.
    -All numbers 1-8 including but not limited to 1 and 8.

means all real number 1-8, AS in 1,2,3,,4,5,6,7,8

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  4. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] You are so right [​IMG]

5. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    Quote:It means if you somehow catch them up they can say 'that's a prohibited animal too

---It's like saying 1-8 inclusive.
    -All numbers 1-8 including but not limited to 1 and 8.

means all real number 1-8, AS in 1,2,3,,4,5,6,7,8

So they cant say "You CANT have an elephant!" The list said "Not limited to" so it includes anything we want to retro add?

6. FireTigeris

Backwards, although elephants, emus, tigers, bears, lions, and ostriches are 'dangerous animals'...

Even if its NOT listed you STILL might not be able to have it...

like um... elephants, they would say - elephants are included but not listed.

"including but not limited to" (from http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/20/messages/319.html)

: what does this actually mean?

It means that the things named are part of something larger, and the larger thing may also have other parts. For example, the alphabet includes, but is not limited to, the letters A through E, as well as J, K, and W.

"Including but not limited to" is language typically found in contracts. It enables the contract writer to make claims later without having given all details of their description at the time the agreement was made. Sometimes the wording is "including without limitation." If you're deciding about a contract that has to do with publishing, better go to the site linked below (www.burryman.com) and look at "Business of Writing" there.

7. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    So true, unless they start attaching dogs barks to generators, I say they go.

8. GBov

Apr 3, 2009
    So if......................................... "It means that the things named are part of something larger, and the larger thing may also have other parts. For example, the alphabet includes, but is not limited to, the letters A through E, as well as J, K, and W."...................................................then they can say a chicken is an animal, as is an aardvark. So one is the same as the other - they are both animals - so we dont have to name all of them just some of them to restrict or ban any one we want.

Seems as crazy as the ordinance that forbids the eating or selling to eat of cats or dogs.

WHAT????

There is a LAW to say you cant eat a NON endangered animal???

I can see a law against Bald Eagle soup for instance, but dogs and cats [​IMG] the things are EVERYWHERE [​IMG]

9. wing it

wing it Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    long island
    dogs can be dangerous have scars to prove it

10. FireTigeris

and they have the right to take that particular dangerous dog...

they also 'decided' ALL tigers are dangerous and bears...so you can't have them either...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by