wow those nails are sharp!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klf73, Jul 8, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I carry my 5-6 weekers from the brooder in my basement to the pen outside. The bigger they get the harder they fight. Since it was sooooo hot today I waited until the late afternoon to put them out. I finished putting them out and noticed blood on my arm. It didn't hurt, still doesn't, but I didn't feel it at all. Someone caught me with their feet [​IMG] I need dh to finish the coop already so I can avoid SOME of this abuse. geez
    Krista
    If this keeps up (have a scratch from yesterday too) I'm gonna look like I have been wrestling with a cat, and losing [​IMG]

2. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Yep!

One of my sex links got me on my chest/neck area. [​IMG]

I was lucky, no blood for me.

Believe it or not my 3wk old Oprs. are harder to hold on to than my 6 wk old sex links. [​IMG]

Hope your wounds heal ok!

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Add some concerete blocks and sand boxes for them to play in and it will dull out the nails. Mind hang out in the dirt pretty young so they get real blunt nails real quick.

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    An actual sand box? I could have dh frame one out when he assembles the run to the coop. How hard will it be to keep clean? What size?
    Krista

5. Eliz

Eliz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    That's good to know!

My yard is really really sandy.

And the sex links hang out in the sand all day. [​IMG]

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

A cat litter box would work fine. They'll use it for dust baths and so on and pick up pieces as grit.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    This may be a stupid question, but do I just put playsand in it? Like silica free stuff?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by