Wow...time to increase chick security!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hokankai, Aug 18, 2010.

1. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    This probably belongs in the Predator thread...but I put it here just because it's a continuation of a previous thread.

Ok, so I've been letting my chicks wander around the backyard lately, which is very small due to the fact that I live in the middle of a subdivision. Well previously I had a hawk sighting (see this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=382747 ) so I've been keeping a better eye out and put up a tarp for the chicks to hide under. Apparently it wasn't enough, because yesterday I had WAY too much of a close call!

I let the chicks wander for about an hour (they are 6 weeks old and LOVE IT), went out to get the mail around the corner and came back. Went into the back to hear Alice trilling, and all of them huddled by the fence. Looked up to see the SAME HAWK as last time! I immediately did the predator call again and they all ran straight for the raspberry bushes for cover. They chilled out there for the rest of the time, dust bathing and such, until the hawk finally flew away.

Well, this morning, he's back. So now I'm building a covered pen with a tarp/chicken wire on top for them to stay in. I hear the hawk screaming right now...and I don't want to risk it!

Pics I got this morning:

My backyard
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    where I found them yesterday
    [​IMG]
    aaand the watchful eyes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    What is that? A rough-legged hawk...

[​IMG]

I love birds of prey ... [​IMG]

Does this make me a bad chicken-mommy??? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  3. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    We use raspberries for young bird cover as well. I am considering planting more when the DH decides where I will be allowed to epand the chicken pasture to.

4. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Your backyard is gorgeous! I love the fence! Hoping your chicks stay safe and the hawk moves on.

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I had a peregrine falcon walking around my backyard yesterday. I doubt he was after one of my big hens. More likely the crows had driven him to the ground and he was waiting for them to leave. My hens were keepign an eye on him but going about hteir business.

6. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Oh I love birds of prey as well! He just needs to learn that my backyard is NOT a source of an easy meal...or 8...haha!

I just stared at him for 10 minutes he was calling out and just chillin' up there...but I don't know if chicken is in their natural diet so I've gotta watch my babies! He probably doesn't even know what a chicken is actually...having his habitat in the middle of a subdivision. I hope he finds something more substantial to snack on then my boney chicks!

7. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    What is the "predator call" you used to warn them?

8. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I would like to know as well, there are hawks here too. I keep trying to speak "chicken" so I can teach my chicks where a bug is, or to hide, but I must not be doing it right.

9. sunshine23

sunshine23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Hialeah, FL
    Quote:that caught my attention too...lol

I hope your chicks stay safe

10. hokankai

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    I'll have to take a video of it, because it's amazing! Basically it's reeeally long "bawk" noises. Low and long. They start taking off right away too! It's saved their tails twice now, but works best when they are already in "alert mode". Basically they'll stop what they're doing and look around. If I make the baaaaaaawk sounds when they do that they REALLY run for cover and get really quiet until I let them know it's okay with the motherly bok bok bakok! sounds. The interesting thing is that they won't respond when anyone else in my family does it, so I think they only respond to me because I've done most of the raising.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by