1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wow, veins and dark stuff

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mediazeal, Mar 31, 2009.

1. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    I have 24 eggs in the incubator and I've been dying to know what's going on in there.
    Set them early on 3/26, so this is close to 6 days.
    I have 6 hamburgs (little white eggs), some welsummers, barnevelders and marans.
    I have a small LED flashlight, not too bright. Needless to say I tried the little white ones.
    I looked at 3 and they all look to have veins near the top air sack and going down, and then a darker 'layer' above the light bottom section. Dark layer is not really a layer of course, more like a dark cloudy area I can't see into. It's like the light is not strong enough to illuminate the entire thing so it fades to a 'less light' area.
    That encouraged me so I got out one of the lighter colored barnevelders and it looks pretty much the same
    So out of 4 eggs I took a quick look at, they all look close to the day 6 'good' egg on LilDucky85's thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=151884

Thanks for taking those pics and posting LilDucky85!
    very helpful
    I'm so excited that they seem to be alive and growing!
    waiting is HARD

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by