Wow! We have one laying double and triple yolk eggs daily!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aimeeinwv, Oct 28, 2009.

1. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

Her eggs are bigger than the jumbo eggs you get in the store! She's 21 weeks old, and I'm not sure yet exactly who's laying them. We have 5 girls out of 12 laying now. (we can tell by the size, consistency and color of the eggs and who's in and out of the coop at lunch time!)

Each of her eggs have been either double or a triple yolk. Will she continue this? My mom was telling me her Grandfather would try to mate the hens that laid the big eggs like that, in hopes that gene would carry on. Is that true?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I haven't an answer to your question, if they will keep laying double and triple yolkers. But, how cool!!! Enjoy them while you have them, anyway! [​IMG]

3. silkiechick05

silkiechick05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    North Texas
    I have never seen a triple yoker!

Post a picture when you get your next one!!!

4. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    You can drip food coloring onto your hen's vents - a different color for each bird. The next eggs laid will have a slight 'tint' to them - helps you tell who is laying what.

1 person likes this.
  5. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  6. aimeeinwv

Thanks everyone! It's pretty neat to see, I'll try the coloring! Great idea!

7. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    I agree--post some pics of the triple-yolker! I know that the U of I sells dozens of flats of double-yoked eggs, so I guess that's pretty common among pullets.

8. aimeeinwv

I didn't take a pic, I've never had hens and didn't know that was a neat thing. Next one I get, I'll post a pic for sure!!!!

9. chefy

chefy New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
    catalunya....spain
    [​IMG]

here we go....we have them too...

10. rougerage16

rougerage16 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2012
    Think of the pastry cream you could make with those beauties! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by