Wow, what a chicken!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cgjsmith, May 1, 2008.

1. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    Oh my goodness, We had a hen that found a pile of "medicated" eggs we were setting aside. Some were really old so we didn't epect them to do anything but we let her set. i went in yesterda and found 15 baby chicks up under her. I was amazed only 3 eggs didn't hatch. She sure does a better job at incubating then I do ha ha ha. Since our nesting boxes are up high I found another box and put some hey on it and moved all of them into the box on the ground. I could see her eyeing the box then the chicks thinking how am I gonna get them down there. LOL I'll try and get a picture of the momma and her very diverse brood later. Oh and how can i tell guinea chciks from chicken chicks? I thought there were some guinea eggs in there but i can't tell the difference. C

2. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Guinea eggs takes 4 weeks to hatch, so if you have chicks then you dont have keets [baby guineas], unless the eggs that didnt hatch are guinea eggs. If they are guinea eggs, put em in the bator and they should hatch for ya. Take a pics of the eggs that didnt hatch so we can tell ya if they are guinea or chicken eggs. Good luck with them............

3. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    What are "medicated" eggs?

4. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    What kind was your hen????

5. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    When a chicken is on any kind of medication it can transfer to the egg so we don't eat the eggs when they are being dewormed, treated with terramyacin or sulmate. (well except when we use DE to deworm.) So I piled the eggs up in one nest to know not to eat them. (I don't just toss them because I don't want to attract other animals) at the end of the treatment period (well actually a week after) we either throw tem in the bator or we put them in a garbage bag. Little red hen is a mutt don't really know what she is. She went broody in naveber of last year but all her chicks froze to death. We were really glad when she decided to set again. crystal

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by