Wow... What Can You Do With A Broken Pool Table?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Reyvaughn, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Make a new coop!

Yep, so I am.
    My husband was cleaning the garage and tried moving it himself. He broke the top off of it.
    I don't care that he broke it, we were trying to get it moved out in the yard with a
    free sign on it anyways.

[​IMG]
    A week ago.

[​IMG]
    This last weekend.

[​IMG]
    Today!

I should already have my wheels on it. It's going to be to heavy to lift pretty soon.
    Oh well. We own jacks and jack stands.
    I have about $70 into it right now. As long as I don't have to put 4 wheels on it,
    I should stay under $140. With 4 wheels, it will be about $170.
    I want to make PVC feeders that I can fill from the outside yet. That
    may have to wait. I'd like to make a waterer with PVC and
    cups. I am trying to make things easier for me.
    Still cheaper than buying one.

It's slow going, but I am working on it on my own and everything I do is at my own pace.
    I keep getting preoccupied. I took the babies outside and cleaned out the brooder, took pictures, collected the
    important breeder eggs, ripped the walls out of the rabbit hutch so that can become a chicken pen,
    sanded some spackle in the room I am remodeling in the house...

Maybe by the end of this weekend...​

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    nice Job!

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Very nice! Way to recycle!

4. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Thanks!
    I got a little more done to it, but not much. Once I get the last rough cut 2x4 on the back wall's studs, I am ready to start putting the 'trusses' up and then plywood on the roof and walls.

While cleaning up the spot for my other coop (was left at my old house and finally - 3 months later - coming home to us) I found 3 rolls of roll-a-roof w/ the plastic backing left by the last tenants! WHOOT! That takes my build cost DOWN $20! I also found 2 sheets of 5/8 plywood. I already bought, but that's okay. I also found some of their dumb build projects that give me either three 4x8 homemade 'pallets' with plywood on them for a floor, or I can dismantle them and use the plywood the way I want and still have 2x6's to use someplace else, too. They also have some ramp thing with a bunch of 2x4's and plywood I can salvage.

Another good thing... The guy I have hauling my coop this weekend does remodeling. They just tore down a house and a large shed and burned most of the wood! [​IMG]
    I told him to save anything 2' and longer! I can use it all! So, I have a supplier for my needs now! It's all FREE!

[​IMG]

5. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    My husband took two vacation days to work on the house...
    Yep, that means the chicken house.

Here it is after today. I only got to work on it for about 2hrs.
    We have a storm coming through and I need it outside now. We will wait
    until tomorrow for the sides and the roll-a-roof. I still need to build those
    pesky doors and cut the divider...

It's still light enough for one person to move. We will see how heavy it is after tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Details of the eves/ventilation. The back is the same way, but the over hang is
    only about 2 1/2" instead of the 3 1/2-4" on the front.
    [​IMG]

6. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Sorry, no update pics.

Well, we almost got it done. If I wasn't sick, we would have gotten an earlier start. If I didn't run out of screws, we wouldn't have had to make an hour trip to town.

We got the nest boxes done (roofs, doors, nesting catchers), the back is on, the middle divider in and one door on. I need to make another door, attach handles, put in roosts and put the roofing on. It's getting heavy, so I hope we can move it once it's done.

7. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    It's Done!

Yep, I finished it up today.
    Before you ask, the front doors are not an illusion. I made an error on the door for the left side and decided to use it of the right side because the right side is 3" smaller than the left. The one on the left is what both were supposed to look like. My level lied to me when I leveled out the roost bar. I know it's slanted. I should have known that from my first build. That was supposed to be level too, and it's slanted the same darn way. Yes, the doors will get plastic in the winter, or we will turn it towards the south-east. It's facing south right now. All of our wind comes from the west, so I should only have to put a bale of straw on the north facing side to block the wind. Tomorrow I will figure something out for a feeder. I want to make outside accessible PVC feeders. Well, I don't have the PVC yet. I'll find something to use in the mean time.

[​IMG]

It's heavy, but not to bad. It takes the two of us to move it - one pushing and one lifting.
    I still need to put handles on it. It may make moving it a bit easier. Paint will come later.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by