Wow, what is with all of the abandoned geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Denninmi, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I haven't been hanging out in goose world for more than about 6-7 months. Does this happen every year? What's the deal -- do people get goslings in the spring (like Easter) as an impulse purchase, and then dump them when they find out they're a little bit of work?

I guess I should know in advance the answer is probably yes. How sad.

2. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    In answer to your questions - yes and yes.

3. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    How sad....I am new as well...I had no idea!

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I think it is more than that.

Some geese get purchased for Easter, but since they are more expensive, it is the cheaper chicks and ducklings who suffer the most from the cute baby pet syndrome.

Just read here to see how many people think that geese are going to be lap pets. They aren't. They are geese and they act like geese. People who think they are feathered lap dogs are disappointed that their new toy doesn't want to be picked up and carried and that it hisses at them. So as soon as it acts like a goose, they throw it away.

Unfortunately, some of those people will try 3-4 goslings, hoping to get a goose that thinks it is a dog before they give up and go on to something else.

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Also, early spring is when geese get territorial because it is nesting season. So you will see a lot of people abandoning their young yearlings because they "have turned mean".

No, not mean, just acting exactly the way geese are supposed to act. Which they might have expected if they'd done any research before buying geese as pets.

6. ellenmartin

ellenmartin Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Stupid people..... I think they should be turned out because they have become stupid. [​IMG] MILES IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE with NO CLOTHES and NO MONEY AND NO PHONE AND NOTHING so they can see what it feels like to be dumped in a strange place with nothing. Oh yeah, don't feed them for a week before they are dumped and nothing but a little water. See how it feels to be in a totally strange place, abaondoned, no sense of direction or anything and afraid.

Stupid people can't see that animals, geese, birds, etc. are all smart in their own right and we are the PARASITE on the planet. They all exist fine in their place on the planet WE are the problem. WE move, modify, destroy, arrogantly assume we are the superior creature and interfere and "tweak" everything to screw it up. [​IMG]

Selling chicks/geese/ducks/etc. during Easter should be banned. [​IMG] It is a STUPID tradition that does not apply anymore and only MORTARDS buy them to not feed them right and then dump them. Would you dump a baby like that just because you didn't know how to take care of it or thought it could "survive on it's own...".

Sorry but someone has to SAY IT! [​IMG]

7. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Look on the bright side this is a good time to pick up geese for free. Most people would rather turn their pet over to a good home then just dump it. Much easier to tell a child that you sent it off to a farm to be with other geese and maybe we can visit it later if the child misses the bird. Hang around park dumps the new dumped pet is easy to catch.

8. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:Oregon Blues...you said it! Why do people expect their poultry to be "lap dogs??"I have very friendly birds as well (in all of my different species)but when they don't want to be bothered...I respect that. I like mine just the way they are....like geese! I am new to this,but I am already accommodating the housing for them for when they are in breeding season...so they have less disturbance and no one gets hurt when they are acting like they are supposed to! Besides...I don't want a goose to crap on my lap EVERY day [​IMG] Once in a while is enough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by