Wow - Wind blew my roofs off last night

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by L0rraine, Jan 18, 2010.

1. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    We had brief, but incredibly noisy winds last night. Woke up to see if any trees came down and it appeared there wasn't as much damage as we expected. THEN I went out to do the morning chores and found the roof to my drake's 'bachelor pad' blown about 20 feet into my silkie (chickens') pen and their roof (which is really pretty heavy) was blown off as well. The drakes' roof took out my bird proofing over the silkies' pen so I've got my work cut out for me today. Fortunately all birds were accounted for. The roofs are pretty heavy and don't have much overhang so I never imagined they would blow off, but I'm guessing some bungie cord tie-downs at strategic points will keep them on in future storms. And the hawk/eagle proofing is fairly easy to replace. It was quite a sight to see though.

The reason things are not all nailed together is so that I can move things around on my own when an area gets over used. It's been working out quite well for me until last night. [​IMG]

2. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    We've got that wind now, here in central CA, and I'm watching the pens, too. Only let the hens out to free range for a short while, thought they'd blow away.
    Hope the fences don't go.[​IMG]

3. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Our backyard is a mess right now. Luckily nothing came down on the duckhouse.

4. L0rraine

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Wow, could be interesting to watch in the daylight hours. Things are pretty quiet here now and thankfully we've got blue skies.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I pretty much escaped it here in Renton. A little wind, and I was surprised to see it had not rained overnight.

I hope repairs go well LOrraine. and I'll keepo my fingers crossed for blue skies all day.

Imp

6. L0rraine

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Quote:Off subject... I LOVE! your new picture.

7. rainplace

I was hoping someone would notice [​IMG]

8. rainplace

Quote:I LOVE LOVE LOVE to head to the coast and rent a shack on the beach at LaPush, during the winter. The stormier the better imo...

9. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland

I was hoping someone would notice [​IMG]

OMG!!! I LOVE IT!! I didnt even notice that it was you! I am such a picture head, lol.

10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

The wind was also pretty bad here last night. I had to run out and put the few pullets that insist on roosting outside back into the coop. I was more worried about trees falling from the neighbors field, he's got a couple really old, naked ones in the pasture next to our property. scary to watch em sway, creak & crack in the wind!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by