1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wow...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by mandelyn, Oct 7, 2011.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I was sitting on the back porch and watched a squirrel fall at least 25 ft out of a tree in a spray of leaves, twisting and turning as it went! It landed with a flat sounding *THUD* I could hear from about 100 ft away!

Put the dogs up real quick in case they ran out there, and watched. It laid there for a moment, then I saw it's tail move. Figured it would be a little stunned if not out right broken. It sat there for a good 5 minutes.

Then it moved to a sitting position, so I could tell it's spine wasn't broken. It moved off a little and sat still again. Then it just went on like normal! Popped through the fence and got busy burying things again.

Crazy!

Now I know what sound a squirrel makes when it falls in the forest.

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Wow

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I would expect if happens more then people think considering they spend so much time in trees...That must have been something to see [​IMG]

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    That's funny! Poor little squirrel! [​IMG]

5. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Wow, im glad its ok [​IMG]

6. llrumsey

llrumsey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I saw one fall a little futher than that and I thought, well he's a goner. So I just sat there and watched him. Like you said it took a little while then he started to come to, didnt run away, but he did walk carefully.

Glad that he was ok, I love to watch the little guys, running and chasing each other through the trees, scolding me when I walk by.

Got to be careful under the trees I sometimes get apples thrown at me.

Who said animals dont have a sense a humor.[​IMG]

7. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    We were camping just a few moths ago, and the squirrels were throwing pine cones at us! Not even joking. A few landed very close to where I was sitting, so I ended up having to move. [​IMG]

8. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    resilient little suckers! I have to say I truly enjoy our squirrels and chipmunks. One of the few animals that has learned how to live amongst us but never to befriend us!

9. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    a little off subect here, but who has tasted squirrel?

10. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I have, pretty good cooked on an open fire with a little BBQ sauce!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by