1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wow!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by eslamberson, Nov 7, 2014.

1. eslamberson

eslamberson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I saw this hen today at the county fair! She is white with a dark PURPLE head! It is not dark red, it is actually PURPLE. I could not find the owner and waited around to find out about her, but had to leave with hubby. Does anyone know what breed or cross she might be?
    Thanks
    Elena Lamberson
    Silversmith Egg Farm
    Johns Island, SC

2. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    That's a silkie

3. eslamberson

eslamberson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2010
    Is it common for them to have purple head like this? I have seen many chickens but have never seen one with a purple head. Very interesting!

4. jmcgee83

jmcgee83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2014
    Louisville Kentucky
    I think it actually should be more black? But yes its common in silkies. And I think she's a he. But I'm a newbie.

5. ashtree

ashtree Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2014
    oklahoma hills
    I don't think that's a full silkie as the comb and crest aren't right. And I agree with the above comment; it's likely a rooster.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    It is a Silkie, a hatchery or pet quality one for sure. Silkies should have crests, mulberry colored combs, black skin (and bones, meat and organs), blue earlobes, feathered legs and extra toes. They're quite an interesting breed.
    The hen in my avatar is a pretty good representation of the breed. The bird you shared is definitely a male, and is lacking a crest, still cute though :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by