*wPics* Help! Twisted leg on newly hatched chick *NOT* spraddle leg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SpringChickens, Jul 19, 2010.

1. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    This is NOT spraddle leg.

Her right leg is twisted ~90 at the elbow so when you look at her side you see the bottom of her foot and her toes are permanently curled, she can't uncurl them by herself (that I can tell). Her left leg looks normal.

Is this something that I can splint? She's under my broody currently; should I move her inside? She really can't walk.

I would love to have help!!! Any ideas are appreciated!!!

If she can eventually recover, I would love to help her; I would prefer not to cull if there is any chance of her living a happy life.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. SpringChickens

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Oh! I took pictures, but havn't gotten them downloaded yet because the camera needs its battery charged. I'll get them up in 10-15 minutes.

3. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a wht leghorn Roo for several years that had a leg amputated at the vet's and his remaining leg was curled like that. He hopped like he was on a pogo stick on his "wrist". He was a very happy fellow and lived peaceably withe some older hens that were recovering from "roo abuse"
    Although he was a lot of work...had to live inside in the winter etc, he was a very nice bird. Up to you if you can devote the time. I say give it a chance! If it can use the twisted leg at all it might be OK to just hobble along. Depends on your broody if she will "wait up" for it when they start to move around. Good luck! Terri O

4. SpringChickens

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Thanks Terri,

Can I splint it? Any other advice?

5. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    You can and should make a spraddle leg brace with medical tape, or a pipe cleaner, and tape and cardboard "boots" for her feet. There area lots of posts on here about orthopedics and how to do it. The chick should be much better within a few short days.

6. SpringChickens

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Quote:Thanks, but this is NOT spraddle leg. The leg is rotated 90 degrees from normal so instead of the sole of the foot facing down, it faces to the right. Hope that makes sense, my camera isn't connecting to the computer so I can't post the pics.

I could brace the toes out so they didn't curl, but it wouldn't help much because the chick would still be walking on the side of its foot.

7. 500592

500592 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2009
    you should try to splint it as much as possible good luck

8. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    Hmmmm that's weird.... wish you had pix...
    Still-- try to make a flat boot from just medical tape to flatten the foot properly (I just got done doing this to a silkie chick myself) I like 3M transpore (porous medical tape that does not stick too badly to feathered feet) You may wish to add grip to the bottom of the tape/foot with vetwrap, dots of glue, or something.
    Good luck with her and keep us posted

9. SpringChickens

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any other ideas?

10. tinytina

tinytina Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    oh poor baby. I had one chick like that too. he is 4 weeks old now and pretty active. i just let him be…

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by