Wrapping Christmas presents

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by woodmort, Dec 20, 2011.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Maybe I'm being a Grinch but, after 73 years I've reach the point where I think wrapping Christmas (and any other Holiday) presents is a waste of time and money. First the cost of the paper, ribbon and tape--and I use a lot of tape--which is going up each year and further throwing the US/China trade balance out of whack . Then the time spent (or not) to get each package wrapped just so. My DDs and DW do such a neat job that they create works of art to the point were it is a shame to destroy it to get at what is inside--often the present costs less than the paper. If mine, on the other hand, resemble any kind of art it is of the Ash Can School variety. Invariably at least one tag falls off and unless someone recognizes the wrapping paper, it has to be opened to figure out who it is for. Finally you have all this discarded, torn paper clogging the waste stream--most is impregnated with chemicals so it can't be burned nor recycled. Better to just hide the presents behind your back or under your sweater and hand them out.

Merry Christmas!!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I'm in your court, woodmort.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    woodmort, couldn't have said it better myself.

My husband uses a straightedge to get these "perfect" works of art.

Me? Whatever doesn't fit gets taped up with masking tape or duct tape.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I like those large gift bags and tissue paper. I put the presents at the bottom of the bag and cover with tissue paper. So fast and makes a nice presentation.

Our relatives send them back to us the next Christmas sometimes, with presents for us in them.

5. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Japan has a tradition of using cloth for wrapping presents, and it has been taken on as a green and economical thing now too. Some very pretty wrapping cloths (or easy to use cloth bags) out there now. Some more affordable than others, but all re-usable.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Comic papers, as my dad reminded me back in those days! You can recycle those too!

7. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Comic papers, as my dad reminded me back in those days! You can recycle those too!

[​IMG]

Newspaper (black and white text pages) wrapped presents with a black bow are super sleek too. Maybe not Christmasy, but very neat looking.​

8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I did that early in our marriage. I went to the fabric store and bought lots and lots of inexpensive Christmas fabric. Then I sewed dozens of very simple cinch sacks of all different sizes to use to "wrap" presents. I was so proud of myself for coming up with an easy and thrifty Christmas idea, but my husband hated it. He loves the sound of ripping paper, so we wrap gifts with wrapping paper. [​IMG]

On the bright side, Sams sells huge rolls for $8. I buy one every year and I still have miles left on each roll and I use A LOT of paper. I have 4 kids.

9. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

We use wrapping paper on Christmas, but for birthdays we just use pillow cases. [​IMG]

10. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I love to go to thrift stores or used book stores and get maps. They make awesome wrapping paper!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by