wrapping for winter

Netherworldtaken

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Missouri
We decided to wrap the North, West and South side of the run for the winter.

54119_1106101423a.jpg

54119_1106101423.jpg

I just wrapped three sides of mine as well. Nice and toasty now. Mine are in an open air coop with only one solid wall so I needed to cut the wind.
sharon

I never thought about doing this. But I sure am thinking about doing it now. The winters in New England have me concerned about keeping my chickens comfortable and healthy. I've been so concerned about cutting down drafts in the coop while providing proper ventilation that I never gave any thought to making the run more winter friendly. Thanks for the idea.

61378_our_coop.jpg

So I'm planning on wrapping my coop tomorrow as well! I just cant decide weather to wrap the whole thing or just 3 sides...I also fear that they will get drafts in their coop because I dont have a coop door. They really like to look around out in their run so I really dont want to do the whole thing. Maybe leave it open a foot from the bottom or so? Maybe just leave the part under the coop open? I need help deciding! Thanks!

I wrapped 3 and 1/2 sides. That way I could see in and they could see out and get some direct sunshine. I may have to undo some of it but I will play it by ear. Tonight it is supposed to get to 35ish. Cold cold for us here. But it usually doesn't last too long each time.
sharon

I'm in Mass. It gets really cold and stays that way forever! It snows...a lot too. Grr. Not sure what to wrap. Feel bad wrapping them up too much.

I stated wrapping the runs on my 3 coops today. I wrap the north and west sides with very heavy mil plastic. Staple it to the wood on run. Seems to work well, as girls came outside everyday last winter , except one.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom