wrapping kids' stuff

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by nikki1, Dec 22, 2011.

1. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    As the mom of a 7 year old and a 4 year old, I gotta ask, "WHATEVER HAPPENED TO RECTANGLES?" I did all my wrapping yesterday, and I was again struck by the fact that toys come in boxes of all shapes, but almost never a nice, standard, easy to wrap rectangle. I have a mental image of package designers laughing maniacally over their new and diabolical box design. [​IMG]

Okay, I am indeed aware that gift bags exist. I just really like to see my kids rip into good ol' paper on Christmas morning. Plus, it makes sneaking a peek a lot harder on wrapped presents than on gift bags. Or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

So, to all package designers everywhere, give us a break! Embrace the rectangle!

--Nikki [​IMG]

p.s. Expect a rant about getting toys out of packaging after Christmas. I have scissors, wire cutters, and explosives ready to go for Christmas morning! [​IMG]

2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:LOL [​IMG]

3. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    We've got a 12, 9, 7. 5 and almost 2 yo! So yes, I agree...where are the rectangles??? I do however like the nice wrapping paper that has the lines on the back!

4. Chuckles1330

Chuckles1330 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Mableton
    Love, love, love gridded wrapping paper - wish ALL wrapping paper had grid lines.
    Don't know if you do "Santa," but in my sister's and cousin's homes, Santa does not wrap most gifts - after working all year making the gifts, the elves are too tired to wrap them. The other nice aspect of that is that most have been removed from their hermetically (sp??) sealed packaging (and arranged nicely under the tree), so the parents don't have to try to get them open in a sleep deprived state with an anxious kid hanging on their arm [​IMG]
    The other option (one of my personal favorites) it to put everything possible into a box prior to wrapping it [​IMG]

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have to agree! I love to wrap each gift perfectly! How can I do that when the shape is all.....all wonky! [​IMG]

And I have a beautiful rooster rug for a friend that I want to wrap.....How the heck do you wrap a rug! I need a nice rug box! [​IMG]

6. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA
    LOL...when I was a kid, not only did Santa wrap the gifts, we got gifts from: Mrs. Clause, Rudolf, Elf #1, The Easter Bunny, and if you were REALLY good, The Tooth Fairy! Oh, and because Santa wasn't wrapping some poor kid's stuff, he had time to DECORATE our tree! When we went to bed, only the lights and our personal ornaments were on the tree....my poor mother!

7. Chuckles1330

Chuckles1330 Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Mableton
    Quote:If the friend is local and you don't have to ship - maybe take a picture of the rug, wrap the picture in a box, then tie a big bow around the rug and keep it in the car until after she has unwrapped the box??? As you can tell, I'm all about the boxes [​IMG] If it isn't a huge rug, you could try one of those giant stockings, or a bicycle bag.

8. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    When I give something 'odd' I actually take great pains to wrap the actual object so you can tell exactly what it is... but it IS wrapped.
    One year my hubby wanted a set of those rechargeable tools and he ended up with a santa- paper covered drill, circular saw, etc. One year I wanted a new pitch fork (yup, I’m all about 'useful' gifts) and HE actually wrapped strips of gift paper around each tooth and then up the handle with a big bow tied around it. [​IMG]
    Sometimes it's best to just give up trying to make neat corners and go wild with the wrapping. One year, my Mom was getting something (can’t' remember what it was now) that came in a HUGE box. There was no way we were going to be able to wrap that thing and make it look 'nice'. So we ripped up a half dozen sheets of paper and glued them all over the box in a hodgepodge mosaic.

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    We used to tape every opening and flaps with TAPE! You could not get a finger grabhold when we taped them shut like we used to do!

10. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    In our family, Santa wraps not only every gift under the tree, but also all the stocking stuffers. Stocking stuffers are usually wrapped pretty lumpy, though. Another family tradition is tape. Lots of tape. I think it started with Grandma (now great-grandma) who wanted everything to stay neatly wrapped. My mom took up the torch, and I've inherited the tape addiction. We need a support group...or at least a good pocket knife on Christmas morning!

--Nikki [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by