Wrapping wings when selling - Advice please

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok - so in spring Ill have a bunch of adult ducks for sale . Thing is im worried about their wings when they are in the cages, when I get them out to put them in their carrier boxes - stuff like that. So, is there a disposable wrap I could but on the ducks to hold their wings to their bodies with out hurtsing them or causing them much stress?

2. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

maybe vetwrap?

3. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    target has an athletic wrap that sticks only to it's self and not the bird. Walmart also sells a "hurt free" wrap in the first aid section. That might work if your birds are smaller or not as strong.

4. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I think Ill get a roll to try out then, thanks Nettie! They will be about 3 months old when I take them to sell. So they will be full grown...... hmmm...

5. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:I'm a big advocate of the vet wrap...MUCH cheaper than most other wraps. Just beware what color you get...the purple will bleed dye if you get it wet! We stick with white or a flourescent color. Had that happen on a horse's tail...also, stay away from the cheaper generic brands if you use it.

6. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    Are you trying to keep the feathers from getting frayed or are you trying to keep the bird from flapping while you handle them?

7. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Mostly just the flapping. Fraying is ineveiatble when i have them in the cages.

8. MDC

MDC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    KS
    In my opinion it will be more trouble than it's worth. You are going to have to use a lot of vet wrap to prevent them from flapping and if you're handling them to do that, you might as well just handle them 'well' while transferring them. Having tried to use vet wrap on angel wing on a duckling, I'm not optimistic that you'd be very successful on a full grown adult. I dunno, I may be wrong. I've never been accused of being too terribly optimistic! heh! Might be worth giving it a test run on one bird before you invest in a case of vet wrap. lol [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  9. The times I have put ducks in pet carriers they didn't flap. I think they kinda know better that to do something that will fray their wings like that. Have you had an experience with them damaging themselves this way?

10. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    it would be more stressful to the duck if you wrap it......JMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by