1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wraspy Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kristen2678, Dec 6, 2011.

1. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    I have a three year old BO Hen who has recently lost her voice. She sounds just like a person with laryngitis. Her face and comb do look a little more red than usual, but otherwise she is the picture of health. Just finished a molt, starting to lay again, is healthy feeling and robust. We are going away for 5 days at the end of the week. I have built them a temporary pen in the garage and someone will be checking on them half way through.

Thoughts? Should I treat with an antibiotic just in case? Something water soluable is perferred.

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Have you ever wormed? When, with what? Do you have a flock? You say "them"? How many? Free Range? How old? Have you had them all since they were young, chicks?

A lot can happen in 48 hours.. and chickens need fresh water, usually daily... can your "sitter" check more often and are they a 'chicken person' who knows when something is wrong, and will call you, etc.? If "they" get shavings (or hay) into their water.. or spill their food.. etc.. they may need attention (fresh food and water) more than once during five days? IMHO.

With no other symptoms, I would watch, check the poop, wait and see.. or worm them if they haven't been wormed..... but, not being home... it would be good if the person checking on them knows chickens and can really take care of them if needed.

Best of luck.

3. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Thanks. I am working on getting someone to come by more often when we are out of town. At the moment they are in their temporary pen with hanging water and food. It stays very clean. I'm hoping to have someone come by every other day. It's not ideal, but the best we can to under the circumstances.

It is a small flock of 3 that we've had since they were day olds. Two are 3 years old, one is 2 years old (got her at 4 weeks). I have never wormed. They free range and are locked up at night. On Blue Seal layer pellets and whatever they eat on the property. Lots of grass, bugs, etc.

I'm going to worm them in the morning and add electrolytes to their water. Maybe even treat with a broad spectum antibiotic. She was the same this afternoon. Other than the rasp and bright comb - no change. I did notice our EE doing some head shaking though. I'm wondering if it is worms or if it's because her head is still covered in "plastic" wrapped feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by