wrens are eating my chicken feed.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bucky52, Aug 27, 2013.

1. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I noticed several weeks ago that my chickens were eating a lot more than normal.well its not the chickens it the wrens.I put the hens food in their coops,hoping the wrens would not find it.i opened up the coop and they were flying over my head and finding little holes to fly out of.I'm more worried about the virus they carry than all the food I'm losing i have a very large run.it will cost me a arm and a leg to cover it in rat wire.any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

2. Teery

Teery Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Inland Empire So. Cal
    Reduce your run size or pay the arm / leg. Birds will get in if it isn't covered.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    You could make it so that only the chickens have access to the food through something like a treadle feeder, or a more economically, a trigger feeder. Check out this post and this thread. If the wild birds can't get to the food, they will be much less likely to enter the coop.

4. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    thanks for the information.i ordered the chicken trigger feeders from ebay.they are on the way.i did watch the video on them and was really impressed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by