Wrinkled egg

CherylNJ

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2015
Ocean County, New Jersey
My Jersey gold is my best layer. We get an egg just about every day or at least 6 a week. Her eggs are the largest beautiful and brown. The other day when we collected the eggs she had one that was bigger than usual and very very wrinkled. I'll post a picture. This is not her first one she's been laying for about 2 months now. What the heck happened to the egg and should I worry. She is since laid two more without issue. Can anyone tell me what happened to the egg?

Sometimes chickens just have a bad egg day. Maybe she got startled or jumped down from the roost and landed too hard while the shell was being formed on the egg.

welcome-byc.gif

I agree it's just a glitch. Two months in is still a new layer in my mind, and new layers do all sorts of funky things to keep us on our toes. The general public has no idea of all the possible weird things that can happen to eggs as the grocery store eggs are screened and candled. Wrinkles, lumps, bumps, ridges, speckles on the shell. Sometimes no shell at all. Double yolks, blood or meat spots, these things are all normal occurrences. Just keep an eye on your bird and as long as it's not a recurring thing, she's fine.

I posted this picture about 10 months ago. Myred is still one of my best players but she still lays at least one wrinkled egg a week. She doesn't act like a nervous Nelly, she's actually the boss of The Brood. She's fed layer crumble along with a handful of scratch twice a day and fresh fruits and veggies in the morning before we leave for work. We allow our girls to free-range everyday for about 2 to 3 hours when we come home from work and all day Saturday and Sunday. I'm confident that they get a well rounded diet. I also fill a container once a week which is kept in their coop of crushed shells that come from their eggs. We eat a lot of eggs here so I remove the membrane rinse them off bake them in the oven so they get the nasties off them, and then I crush them. I prefer doing that as opposed to oyster shells. I've only been raising chickens for 19 months so I'm still green, can anyone give me a recommendation on if I'm doing things right or wrong or should I change something. Greatly appreciated it and so do my girls

If all the other birds are laying 'perfect' eggs on that diet, then the one girl just has some malfunction in her shell gland and/or nutrient uptake chemistry.
It can happen, have had a few birds like that...eggs are fine to eat but those girls go on the stew list.

BTW no need to remove the membrane, it has protein in it.

The layer feed should be fine for calcium content....but you are diluting the already probably low(16%) protein with the scratch and other foods.
Not sure if that what might be causing the wrinkly eggs, but it is a possibility.

Back
Top Bottom