Wrinkly and thin shelled eggs, possible IB? 2 deaths possibly related? How to treat

Skyla

Chirping
Aug 10, 2017
Northern Wisconsin
Hello,
So I have been having some egg issues lately and health issues, I'm thinking they might be more related then I thought. Starting off first with the egg issues, one of my birds (black austrolorp) has started laying wrinkly eggs (picture below) for the past 2 weeks. The others lay thin shelled eggs often and they have recently dropped in egg production the last 2 months. While only one bird lays wrinkly eggs the others eggs are usually not entirely misshapen but uneven and oddly shaped. All my birds except my 4 year old Red sexlink are about a year old. I thought at first it was a calcium issue but I give them free choice oyster shells along with their layer feed. I have recently had 2 otherwise healthy young birds die suddenly, only showing signs of illness a few hours prior to their deaths last month and in February. I read that wrinkly eggs can be a sign of infectious bronchitis. Do you think that's what they might have and that was responsible for the other birds death? They do not have discharge from their nose or eyes and I haven't noticed constant sneezing, just a few sneezes here and there that don't seem out of the ordinary. They seems to be in pretty good health currently (although that's what I thought about the ones that died) with red combs and constant interest in food and water. Once in a while they do seem to become sick looking or lethargic for a few hours but then their fine after that. I'm getting 3 new pullets sometime in August, is it safe to put them in with the rest of the birds? Is there a way to treat IB or vaccinate the new ones coming in? If there is please let me know. Thank for for any possible help!
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG

There is a vaccination for infectious bronchitis. Wrinkled eggs is a sign that they may have been suffering from IB. When my flock had it, I noticed sneezing in the same birds every few minutes for 3-4 weeks. IB is known to affect the reproductive organs and kidneys, and affects young chickens more. I have lost a few of my birds from reproductive issues probably related to the IB they had when about a year old. Here is a good article about egg shell problems and causes:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Are you in the US?
If so are you aware each state has a lab that will preform a necropsy do you know what exactly you are dealing with?

The egg in the bowl looks normal to me. There are other reasons for wrinkled shells beside IB. See Eggcessive's post #2 above and click the link she provided and take a look at #12 & #13 in the link.

There is a vaccination for infectious bronchitis. Wrinkled eggs is a sign that they may have been suffering from IB. When my flock had it, I noticed sneezing in the same birds every few minutes for 3-4 weeks. IB is known to affect the reproductive organs and kidneys, and affects young chickens more. I have lost a few of my birds from reproductive issues probably related to the IB they had when about a year old. Here is a good article about egg shell problems and causes:

Do you know the name of the vaccine? Mine aren't sneezing every few minutes, maybe they don't have it then? Will they have it (and lay wrinkled eggs) for the rest of their lives or will it pass? Thanks for the response!

Is it safe to eat eggs of you suspect your flock may have IB? Or do the eggs need throw away?

Back
Top Bottom