wrinkly large eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rancher hicks, Sep 20, 2010.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Lately I've been getting large wrinkly eggs.
    Now I know about IB but have seen none of that.
    However there is molting going on and of course the weather and daylight is changeing.
    I think it may be comming from the back part of my coop hens where the lighting is darker. My coop is divided, the front has a window and the back has none. There have been some added pullets also.
    I've begun giving them a bit more scratch than usual and they've had a few more tomatoes than usual as the harvest is here.
    I've run out of AVC too which i've been putting in the water.

I had this problem with one hen who was older for a time but she stopped and all eggs resumed normal shape. I've not gotten any unusually large, double yolked egg in a very long time. I can't remember getting any for some time.

Lately however there are to many oversized wrinkly eggs. In my dels as far as I can tell. Most of my hens would be approaching two or three.

There have been some young pullets added to the flock and some different breeds but they've been there for awhile. Though the pullets are starting to lay.

My concern is I have egg sales and these eggs are unsaleable. My other concern is I need the older hens to replenish my stock come january hatching.

Any ideas or comments.

2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I don't know RH but I get some of them myself at times. Maybe she is stressed due to a coming molt or other factors like heat?

3. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I doubt it's the heat but it could be stress.
    When I first got the new dels over a year ago I would get one from one of the four hens but that stopped and was only an ocassional thing. I wouldn't be concerned but I have eggs sales.
    Another thing that concerns me is watery whites. Doesn't matter for baking and scrambled eggs but not so good for frying.

4. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  5. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Neither are mine, but the shell is misshapened and thinner than normal and the egg is oversized. I just can't figure out why. Other than more scratch than all summer and the tomatos i can't figure it out.

6. rancher hicks

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well I gave them some vitamins and the wrinkly shells seem to have let up, though there may be an occasional one. I'm going to start up the ACV again.

7. dee88

dee88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    It would seem to me that it would be lack of calcium in their diet. Do you feed them oyster shell? I've heard that (or crushed eggshells) is the way to go. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by