Wrong birds sent, still a mystery at 5 wks

tn_artist

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Wilson, NC
I ordered from Purely Poultry and the chicks arrived the last week of February.
I ordered 10 Belgian quail d'Anvers for my daughter and 5 self blue bantam Cochins for me. What arrived were the Cochins and 10 mystery birds. Instead of tiny black babies with brown faces, we got white babies.
I contacted the company and got the refund, but customer service didn't know what the chicks were either. She guessed, maybe bantam Cornish.
Well, we are going on 5 weeks and still have no clue what they are. The delivery box said it contained blue quail d'Anvers, but that's not right either.
We have been through every clean legged bantam they offer and looked up pictures of those breeds of chicks on feathersite.com. No luck. I welcome any help given to figure out this mystery.
Clean, slate colored legs.
No muffs or beards.
Started solid white, now, some have a light buff breast with buff scattered through their feathers, some have less buff on breast with what looks like pale blue scattered through feathers.
Rose combs.
A couple days old:
20220302_184910.jpg
20220302_184945.jpg
20220302_184953.jpg

Last week:
20220325_151809.jpg

20220402_100705.jpg
20220325_151814.jpg
20220402_100803.jpg

Story conclusion:
Purely ran out of what we wanted, ordered 15 from Welp. Within two weeks every one of them was dead. Only one of the other breeds ordered from them died, a d'Uccle. Now everyone is out of d'Anvers and my teen daughter is looking like she's ready to give up. Picture of her with Clover, her sweet boy and the only one of her d'Anvers to survive a huge storm.
20210628_185056.jpg

20210618_130624.jpg

I have no clue. I’d say the almost remind me of Hamburgs or Campines. Are they bantams? White or Lav?

Probably porcelain D'Anvers.

Other possibilities include buff laced Sebrights, white rosecombs and white D'Anvers.
It would be nice if they are any kind of d'Anvers, but we see no muffs or beards.:hit We have one sebright, she's buff laced. After four years with no matching buddy, we ordered an assortment of sebright because we had to order a min of 30. It would be quite ironic if these turn out to be sebright. We would go from one to 16!

Last edited:
It would be nice if they are any kind of d'Anvers, but we see no muffs or beards.:hit We have one sebright, she's buff laced. After four years with no matching buddy, we ordered an assortment of sebright because we had to order a min of 30. It would be quite ironic if these turn out to be sebright. We would go from one to 16!
If it helps any, I have a porcelain d’Uccle that is almost 7 weeks old and still has no muffs or beard. It’s sibling just started getting muffs in the last week, so they may still be d’Anvers that are slow getting their muffs? And mine are for sure d’Uccles, I bought them from a local breeder. They look like they will be gorgeous 😍

Can you update with more pictures? Looking at what they carry, I think they're Splash Qurail d'Anvers
They do have a bit of a self blue color, but they also have a good bit of buff - as in their whole belly and neck. I even gave the pictures bird a bath to see if any of the colors were dirt.
Muffs are coming in. The colors look like a Lf bird we have. She was supposed to be a Sapphire splash, but isn't. She looks just like these little ones except she has a straight comb and yellow legs.
If these are d'Anvers, the color is very confusing.
20220504_195010.jpg
20220504_194231.jpg
20220504_194221.jpg
20220504_194040.jpg
20220504_194013.jpg

They do have a bit of a self blue color, but they also have a good bit of buff - as in their whole belly and neck. I even gave the pictures bird a bath to see if any of the colors were dirt.
Muffs are coming in. The colors look like a Lf bird we have. She was supposed to be a Sapphire splash, but isn't. She looks just like these little ones except she has a straight comb and yellow legs.
If these are d'Anvers, the color is very confusing.
View attachment 3092699View attachment 3092700View attachment 3092703View attachment 3092705View attachment 3092706
Yep, Splash Quail d'Anvers!

How did you find a list of what purely poultry carries? All that comes up for me is self blue and black since that's all that's available at this time. I didn't even know there was such a thing as splash quail.
We have had the worst luck with the Belgian quail. Our 4th order arrived today.
Order one-Purely Poultry- wrong color
Order two-Welp hatchery-all 15 quail d'Anvers died within a week
Order three-Privett hatchery-3 of 15 still alive.
Order four -Privett hatchery, arrived today. 6 arrived dead out of 30. One got wet in the quail waterer and died.
We are treating them like we do our Serama chicks; wet mash made from chick starter, quail waterer with vitamins

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom