Wrong breed name from store... but what kind is it?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jkwhiteley, May 15, 2019.

1. jkwhiteley

jkwhiteley In the Brooder

Apr 25, 2018
    Provo, Utah
    On April 10th, my kids and I picked out two more chicks. One we were told was a golden sex link, and the other was an Amerecauna. He also said they were commonly referred to as Easter Egg chickens. Not knowing better, I picked them out for their hen qualities and egg colors. We like to have each hen look different and lay different eggs so we can tell them apart. Anyways, I have since learned Amerecaunas and Easter Eggers are two different breeds of chickens. My chick is definitely not an Amerecauna. She has yellow legs and feet, and has lost her fluffy mitts (she had them when she was a tiny chick). I’m estimating they are about 6 weeks old, and trying to figure out what breed I have, and if she is a pullet or not, like I was told.

Attached Files:

2. keesmom

keesmom Crowing

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I'm thinking you may have an Orloff. What color legs doe the buff have?

3. Norcal527

Norcal527 Songster

Mar 22, 2019
    Sacramento area
    Russian Orloff

Sherloki likes this.
  4. jkwhiteley

Apr 25, 2018
    Provo, Utah
    47A45106-D759-4E69-A775-DD9A5DA6F781.jpeg Here is a pick showing both chicks legs.

5. jkwhiteley

Apr 25, 2018
    Provo, Utah
    And this one the chick in question when it was a baby right after we brought it home.

Attached Files:

6. BlessedmamaAELE

BlessedmamaAELE Songster

Apr 12, 2019
    Honestly, your Gold Sex Link doesn’t look GSL. Looks more Buff Orpington to me. Possibly Golden Comet. The other I’m not sure of.

Sherloki and Harmony Fowl like this.
  7. jkwhiteley

Apr 25, 2018
    Provo, Utah
    Maybe my darker chick is just a fun mix... which EE’s are, right? I was told it would lay blue/green eggs. Maybe it has that gene and is a mutt, thereby an Easter Egger? As for the golden one, I just hope she grows up to be sweet like she currently is, and lays brown/tan eggs.

BlessedmamaAELE likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: