wrong breed....need advice

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kaitlyn_rae2003, Jul 4, 2010.

1. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    I was sold 4 chicks, said to be 5 weeks old. They were assumed to be barred rocks. however, after doing research, they are looking JUST like the astrolorps (sp) the breeder did not have parents on site, i think she got these from a school project, but advertised like she knew what she was doing, and selling. She wont return my calls or emails. Any advice or similar stories? am i stuck with these guys or should she take them back? any advice is appreciated

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    are they barred in their coloring? they will have a dot on their head when little.............What color legs?

post some pic's

I would keep them!!!!!!!!!!!

3. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    By 5 weeks you should know for sure if there barred rocks, they already have the barred coloring.
    Similar thing happened to me, I bought 3 silkies from a guy, he sold me a very old one but i didnt know and Ive had her for 5 months now and til date not a single egg I keep her around tho cuz i like her, I would keep the australops if I were you there great egg layers.

4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Barred Rocks don't develop their coloring immediately. It takes them some time for the barred feathers to come in. I'm not sure why you wanted the BR's instead of the Australorps, but I can tell you the Australorps are great birds. Very pretty with the green sheen to the black feathers in sunlight, and record layers. Literally. I believe that an Australorp laid 355 eggs in a year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. They are quiet and pretty, they are docile and great layers. What more could a chicken owner want? I hope the birds work out for you.

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If you had your heart set on BRs, I'm really sorry they might not be what you wanted.
    On the other hand, BA are really great birds with wonderful temperments and they lay beautiful eggs on a pretty much daily basis

6. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Just for reference, heres what my little barred rock looked like at 3 weeks old. You could already see the barred coloring on her wings.
    [​IMG]

7. kaitlyn_rae2003

kaitlyn_rae2003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Laconia NH
    Thanks so much for the replies!!! that pic, of the 3 week old BR....NOT EVEN CLOSE! a pic of a 3-5 wk old BA, dead on. I just dont find the BA very attractive...however the good laying is a perk. I got pairs, 2 roo's 2 hens, and I was going to keep my nicer, more handsome roo in the end. But that was if it was a BR roo....ill keep the ladies, either way I guess, but its so hard to rehome roo's, especially since Id feel so guilty if he turned to supper! lol My husband really likes the looks of the rocks, and so do I. We have a mixed flock of good laying breeds, and wanted to finish up with 2 BR's and 2 polish. But thank you so much for the advice! this site rocks. and the pic of the 3 week old BR...what a cutie~ that is exactly what I was hoping for!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by