Wrong Delivery - Got Barred Rocks STR Chicks and not Buff Orp Pullets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PheazAnts, Feb 27, 2012.

1. PheazAnts

PheazAnts Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2008
    Southeastern Ohio
    Any body out there get my Buff Orp chicks? I have someone's Barred Rock chicks. [​IMG]

I've had great success with Red Golden Pheasants and Ringneck Doves and decided this year to get egg laying chickens.

Now the adventure unfolds:

My first hatchery order arrives with predominately black peeps with white on the top of their heads instead of yellow ones. Talk about being thrown a curve! The next morning I phoned the hatchery and e-mailed a picture of the chicks. I received an e-mail back confirming I did not get Buff Orps but instead BR. They offered to make it good but now I have to wait 2 months before I can get them.[​IMG]

Two DOA. No extra chicks shipped. It is what it is. The hatchery guarantees 100% but once they are shipped it is out of their hands.

Needless to say these chicks have grown on me. So I'm switching gears and learning quickly about taking care of a mixed group of chicks.

If you have my Buffs let me know, pictured below are your BR's If not any helpful pointers on BR's is greatly appreciated

Here are the little ones.

[​IMG]

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Maybe the hatchery used initials BR and BO and got them mixed up. But they would have had to mix up strait run and just pullets also. [​IMG]

If you wanted laying hens, Barred Plymouth Rocks are generally better egg-layers than Buff Orpingtons.

Once you figure out which ones are cockerels, what do you plan to do with them?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  3. PheazAnts

Oct 15, 2008
    Southeastern Ohio
    The plan was no cockerals but I might be getting an education on the dual purpose nature of the breed. (Maybe we'll be keeping at least one . . . ) These little ones are doing well and of course are now part of the farm regardless, wrong shipment or not. [​IMG] Thank you for the comments on the Barred Rock breed. The whole mix up is a bit comical to me. Wonder if this happens often?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  4. 2hot2chicken

2hot2chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Beaverton
    which hatchery did this stunt? you are a little calmer about it than I would be! I would be demanding a refund or cancelling payment on my credit card if they told me it would be 2 months till I got my right order. and I would still demand my right order and keep the BR chicks since I couldn't ship them back now cause they are to old! It was not your fault they screwed up in a very big way so you should not have to loose out on your BO because of them!

On a different note I have 3 BR hens and I love them [​IMG]
    Tgey are the most inquisitive and outgoing of all my breeds and are the 1st to come when I call them for treats. I even havethem trained to hop up and down for treats! Its funny to watch LOL. Very sweet, my 4 yr old can even pick them up and carry them round and they let her do it (most of the time : )

Wish you the best, be careful though if you are going to keep a rooster, I have seen some HUGE BR roosters which is why I don't have 1.....

5. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I don't think it happens often. But people make mistakes sometimes.

My father ordered the Cackle Hatchery surprise, and they do not tell type or number of birds that will be shipped. But they guarantee a bargain. They can't mess that order up as long as they ship a bunch of birds. [​IMG]

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    That's wild. I'm sure it must happen from time to time but I've never heard of it before and it seems like its the kind of thing people would post on here when it happens to them as you did. Good for you for being so calm about it! I think I would also see the comical side of things!

I've had both BR and BO's and I think of them as being fairly similar - calm, friendly birds who lay pretty well and are easy on the eyes. I know you probably had your heart set on the BO's but hopefully the BR's will grow on you too.

7. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

I love my Rocks! I've had them for almost 4 years now, and I'd have them again!

If you have an incubator, I can send you some BO eggs...send me a pm if you want.

8. chickensinwasillaAK

chickensinwasillaAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Wasilla Alaska
    More likely then not, they just put the wrong lable on the wrong box. If you've ever seen hatch day at a hatchery, it's pretty hectic and errors do happen. Most have policies that prevent it from happening more

9. PheazAnts

Oct 15, 2008
    Southeastern Ohio
    Wow, I do have a bator and your offer for eggs is very kind Kelly G.! I'm going to have to decline at this time (though I'm chomping at the bit to accept your offer) But for now it is best for me to be patient and wait.

In a way I feel like I got the surprise bargain except I paid more for pullets. But I chuckled at notion of the mystery shipment not going awry. [​IMG]

I can't image what it would be like shipping chicks with all the hatching going on and all the different places they are being shipped to.

10. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Well, I don't think you'll be disappointed by the Rocks - I really do love mine and they were from a hatchery as well!

The offer stands for the Orps, so keep my name :)

Here's Daddy -

[​IMG]

Here is what hatched this morning -

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by