Wrong egg color-Help me with this mystery

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Elphaba2140, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I have had chickens since Spring of last year. Ordered chicks and hatched chicks and they grew up to be fine hens. This Spring I ordered some more to expand my flock. These newest pullets are just now 20 weeks. We are in the middle of building the new and improved coop-but while that is going on I have the flock separated into two groups with their pens side by side. The "little" girls are a tiny flock of 5 which inclued 2- Silkies, 1-Polish, 1-Frizzle Cochin (Bantam) and a Silver Laced Wyandotte (LF)- she thinks she is little. They are a great looking bunch for hatchery birds.
    So they have started to lay eggs this week. First the Cochin- a tiny light brown. Then the LSW- a small medium brown. The others should be white. Yesterday and today I have gotten a small darker brown egg from them. I was like... wait a minute. I already took two brown eggs out of there. Yesterday, I thought maybe I just didn't collect the last one (they are laying late afternoon) and I missed it. This morning after the torrential downpour for the umpteenth day I saw their cardboard nest box was sopping wet. Made a new one and no mistake today, 3 brown eggs.

My question, Who Dunnit?

PS - I got those guys specific for white eggs. [​IMG]

2. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    My White tetratints lay brown eggs too. I thought white ears meant white eggs. They all tatse good though!

3. Coop Scoop Boogie

Coop Scoop Boogie Chillin' With My Peeps

silkies will lay an off white to lightly brown egg

4. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    Thanks for the replies. This egg rivals my hatchery Cuckoo eggs. It is darker than my Buff Brahma's if that is any help. I have a couple of Sultan's that lay white to off white eggs so I was sort of expecting that could happen but these are dark. I am perplexed to say the least. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by