1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wrong egg colour from breed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zimbamo, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Zimbamo

Zimbamo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2013
    Hi, I've been getting olive eggs from my Cuckoo Maran pullet (Snowy is her name) but she is suposed to light brown eggs [​IMG]. If you have any info about why she is those coloured eggs (even though I'm not complaining about them [​IMG]) please post it, thanks

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have any Easter Eggers? Do you have a picture of your pullet? She could be a mix.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. Shan30

Shan30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Vancouver island
    Well a marans egg is supposed to be a dark brown so if she is laying olive eggs she must have some Amerecauna or Araucana mixed in. Love olive eggs :)

4. Zimbamo

Aug 26, 2013
    Well Cuckoo and I think wheaten marans are suposed to lay lighter brown but you're right saying that most marans lay dark brown eggs and p.s I got her from swapping rooster for her so she could be a mix [​IMG] and also to verr67 I don't have any olive eggers but thanks for the idea

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  5. Shan30

Shan30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Vancouver island
    Oh funny, I've never heard that about the cuckoo's! Either way a rooster for a hen is a good trade!

6. Zimbamo

Aug 26, 2013
    But she looks exactly like a normal cuckoo maran...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by