Wrong feed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bja105, May 15, 2009.

1. bja105

bja105 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Western PA
    Tractor Supply was out of their 20% chick starter, so I got some from the Agway. I asked for chick starter, but now I see I bought game bird feed. Its 28% protein, with Lasalocid, 113g/ton. I fed them this feed today.

Should I toss the bag I opened? Is lasalocid going to cause trouble in my meat. These are Cornish X, 3 weeks old.

I also got a bag of 15% finisher/grower. Can I mix the feeds and be safe for chicken survival and growth? What about getting the drug out of their systems? I hadn't planned on using medicated feed.

I can exchange the un-opened bag. If I shouldn't feed the stuff, I won't cry about wasting it, but if its no big deal, I'll use it.

Thanks

2. RuffTuffCreampuff

RuffTuffCreampuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Gainesville, Texas
    Good question, and I don't know the answer to it....however, you might get more response if you start a new thread in the raising chick section, or have a mod move this thread for you.

Pam

3. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    some people raise chicks on gamebird food.

4. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Your meat chickens will probaly be better off with the game bird feed than the regular chick starter. Lots of people raise their meaties on gamebird feed. We use turkey feed because we can't get broiler feed.

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    game bird is better for cornish than reg. chick. do the 12 hrs with feed 12 hrs without, they grow better and don't seem to kick the bucket as much.

6. RuffTuffCreampuff

RuffTuffCreampuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Gainesville, Texas
    Well all this is good to know, guess you posted your question in the right section after all..[​IMG]

Pam

7. bja105

bja105 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Western PA
    Thanks, folks. Anybody have an opinion on the drugs?

8. steveo

steveo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Maine
    Quote:Yes drugs are bad for your health lol

9. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Lasalocid

A polyether ionophore related chemically to monensin, used as a growth promotant in cattle and coccidiostat in chickens. It is relatively nontoxic but gross overdosage of cattle causes acute heart failure. Horses are very susceptible and the use of the compound in them is prohibited. Animals may be found dead or show dyspnea, mucosal congestion, diarrhea and cardiac irregularity and tachycardia.

I would look for something non medicated but the high protien is going to make them grow faster and bigger in shorter time, I have found that meaties are healthier on the higher protien

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by