Wrong Humidity HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlover54, Jun 20, 2011.

1. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I have about 3 dozen eggs with various hatch dates in my 1502 Sportsman, I have my own hydrometer, because screen that displays the humidity is in the back of the right side, so it got very hard for me to lean over and read it. My hydrometer has been reading 42%, I leaned over to see the humidity on the panel and it read 58%!!!!!! On a daily basis it must of been this high. I have eggs going in the hatcher tommorow and I am scared when they pip they will drown. For the next day should I take out the humidity pan to quickly drain some of the water in the eggs? Help!
    BTW the air cells are huge!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    If the air cells are large or normal you are doing fine. No need to worry. The only way to tell for sure if your humidity has been right is to weight the egg from the start to see how much weight it has lost.

3. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Its not that I am as much worried about, It is the fact that my eggs have had almost 60% humidity daily, they will most likely drown when pipped

4. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    If the air cells are large then when they pip they will pip into an air cell and not drown.

5. raimnel

raimnel Chillin' With My Peeps

is there water in the air cell? if the air cell is huge I'm guessing that the other hygrometer is the one that is off. large air cell tells me that your humidity was just fine. take a deep breath and relax.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by