Wrong pronunciation? LOL

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HetaChick, Feb 2, 2012.

1. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    Random rant…

I own some Shamo chicks and I was clucking around the site here and noticed a person asking how to pronounce it. It's an old thread so I didn't bother replying but I have to answer this anyways, mainly because the friend I got them from mispronounced it and had me googling pictures of killer whales. LOL

Shamo is pronounced

Shyah-mo

with an a as in ah, and the mo rhyming with "toe."

It's a Japanese name =) and o's are always "oh" a's are "ah," U's are "oo," i's "long e" etc. I study Japanese so I have to know these things XD but I thought y'all may want to know.

I bet it's spelled like this "シアモ” (Shiamo)… but I haven't googled around that much. Too much cockfighting for me, I love my little birdies…err not so little…. but anyways yeah.

Again I know it's random, but someone may benefit from this.

2. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

How old are they? My son loves the look of them! Temperament?

3. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    Well I have 10 of them =) and they've been raised with my hen so their leary of me but, the roos started their dominance thing already and their a month (almost) now. The biggest one got picked on so I took him in and within that day, starting from him being wild to me, he was following me around the house cheeping happy cheeps. He's a big lover and loves cuddling. He still cheeps like a tiny chick… which he's most definitely not little LOL.

He's very human friendly, and I think if I handled the others they'd be too. He's also really sweet to my little OEGB mix chick that hatched with his batch and now they're getting along. She is a little feisty but he puts up with her and kinda just gives her this look.

I've heard they make excellent pets but the roosters start fighting and asserting dominance at a young age. My little (big) guy just happened to look big so the other littler roo wanted to show everyone how tough he was by pecking at him. So as long as you only have one rooster they seem to be good. They've been bred to be tame to people so thats definitely cool. He's just a big cuddler right now, I'm interested to see how he grows.

Him as a chick

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Him yesterday. His face has healed quite a bit more since yesterday. This guys body grew so fast his baby down doesn't really cover him much and his feathering is still sparse lol… The other chicks are still black and two are yellow with brown feathering coming in. One brown chick is an EE/shamo cross and I'm hoping that's a hen. Would be interesting if it layed blue eggs lol. Does your son plan to get some?

4. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

We would like to get some but we have 40 other chickens and I'm afraid they would fight with the 3 other roosters I own. We have 4 separate pens but they share chain link fencing so I think they may fight through the fence. Wouldn't be nice. Post some pictures as they grow. Cool birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by