1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wrong starter!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jc12551, Mar 22, 2011.

1. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    I sent DH to TSC to buy chick starter and he came back with 24% game starter. I took it back, but TSC won't exchange it. Can I use it on my chicks? I can't afford to buy more starter until the 1st of April and my chicks will be here (hopefully) next week!

2. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    they won't take back an unopened bag?!

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    That is strange why won't they take back an unopened bag? I would talk to the manager.

4. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Your chicks will thrive on the game starter, even more than the chick starter. It has higher protein. We've been feeding our full-grown chickens gamebird feed all winter, and they've done better this winter than any of the previous ones.

Oh, and I frequently get the gamebird starter for our baby chicks, too. No problems--you are GOLDEN! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  5. BunsNChicks

BunsNChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    salinas,ca
    I took an opened bag of rabbit food back and they exchanged it.... I told them my rabbit would not eat it and I thought it may be tainted;)

6. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    I don't know why they won't take it back. The teen at the counter said it was policy for that store. Maybe they have had problems before of some kind? IDK. There wasn't a manager available. I won't try to take it back again, I will just keep it.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Feed it to your chicks! It isn't bad for them at all.

8. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree- it's actually higher protein, and has tighter standards than for normal chicks. They should do well on it. Just pay attention to their activity level, as the unmedicated feed is always something where you should note warning signs of coccidiosis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by