wrong temp...will they still hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tmpshrty96, Aug 7, 2009.

1. tmpshrty96

tmpshrty96 Songster

Jul 24, 2009
    so i got my incubator and an egg turner and it said to use the new thermometer so thats the 1 i put in there. on tht thermometer it stayed right at 100 f so about 2 weeks later i bought a digital thermometer after i left the digital thermometer in there it said the temp was 103.2 F on the digital 1. i turned it down to 100 f and checked the eggs and they all had little baby bobwhite quail in them. they were still moving around also i checked them right before the day of lockdown and the entire egg was dark except for the aircell. which is what it is suppose to look like near the end of the hatch right? so does any1 still think the eggs will hatch. there suppose to hatch in 2 days and if no1 thinks they will hatch i dont want to get my hopes up

2. Andora

Andora Songster

Aug 26, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I think they will still hatch if they looked full the last time you candled, as long as your humidity is right.

3. toxo

toxo Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    Gillingham, UK
    Quote:I would look for them to hatch early if the pemperature has been up.

Good luck!

Paul

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Songster

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    At this point just wait and see. There's nothing else you can do. It doesn't matter what anybody thinks, they'll either hatch or they won't. There's a good chance they will hatch, since they seem to have developed so far.

You don't know which thermometer is more accurate. Maybe the first was right. Maybe the 2nd, Maybe neither.
    Since the eggs were developing with the first, and continued to grow with the second, who knows?

Digital therms are not always accurate. I have one I don't use because it swings all over the place, while the regular therm stays pretty steady.

I check mine with a mercury (not a digital) fever thermometer. I set up the 'bator, wait until the temp is stable at 100F by my alcohol thermometer, (that's the ones with the red stuff in them) then shake the mercury down around 96F, and place in the 'bator alongside the other one. I wait about 30 minutes, (to let the temp come back after being opened) then take out the merc therm and read it. If it's right on 100F, I know my alcohol therm is correct, double check where it's reading, because the markings aren't as precise as the merc therm, and that's where I keep the temp for the entire time, or as close as I can manage. It will fluctuate just a little, about 99.5 to 100.5, and that's ok.

Good luck, I hope they hatch! Let us know.

5. tmpshrty96

tmpshrty96 Songster

Jul 24, 2009
    Quote:thats the thing. i cant get the humidity up to 70. the bottom rings are full, i have 2 sponges in the incubator and four big pots with water in them around the incubator and 1 of the plugs out of the incubator and the humidity is at 52

6. shuizar209

shuizar209 Songster

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Quote:I would look for them to hatch early if the pemperature has been up.

Good luck!

Paul

I agree they might hatch early.

7. killer

killer Songster

that's ok, my humidity is at 50 to 60 all the time during the last 3 days and i have good hatches.

8. farrier!

farrier! Songster

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Just being curious I set 3 thermometers in one bator. One on the wire, one egg height and one just above. There was 3 degrees difference between them. If I changed the height the temperature changed. The temperature was consistent with all 3, just depended on height.

If you temps were correct at egg height you will be just fine... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: