1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

wrong with my chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marlene, Jun 25, 2016.

1. marlene

marlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I got 5 hybrid pullets that are about 32 weeks old, or that's what the lady I bought them from told me?

For the last 3 weeks I have been getting 4 eggs every day, not sure who s laying them for sure but have a good idea.

My concern is that 1 of the pullets (the 1 I think is not laying) has small wattles and a tiny comb, although they are red, and she seems to be spending a lot of time on her own, and sitting down in the garden a lot, although at times she has a mad moment and starts running and flying round the garden.

Could there be something wrong with her? Why is her comb still so small? and why is she not laying yet?
    They are in a very large coop and free range all day. They are fed layers pellets, they have plenty of fresh vegetables weekly, and they have oyster shell on offer.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

she could be laying, not all hens lay an egg every day

3. Georgia Girl 02

Georgia Girl 02 New Egg

Jun 25, 2016
    Thomaston Georgia
    She may just take a longer time than the others to start start laying.

4. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    One way to be sure who is laying is to spend time watching them. Do they all look alike? If not, do all the eggs look alike> a few days of persistent detective work could unravel the mystery....

5. Lil Peeps

Lil Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016
    You could try feeling the bones by her vent if you can fit 2 fingers between them then she is laying if you can only fit one she is not, one and a half, she is getting close. Is there any possibility she could be younger than the rest?

6. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    Thank you for the replies.
    I have tried to watch who is laying, but been doing long shifts so have not had as much time as I would like to do my detective work lol.
    I have seen the 4 I believe to be laying in the nest box, but not her. That is why I believe she isn't laying. But the fact that she is a bit of a loner and that she spends a lot of time just sitting in the garden also concerns me. She does appear to be last in the pecking order, and gets chased away a lot.

7. marlene

Aug 17, 2011
    UK
    I am starting to wonder if she could be younger than the rest, or just a slow developer. The lady I bought them from told me she bought 100 day old chicks, and the pullets where from that batch. When I bought them 8 weeks ago she said they were 24 weeks old, but I do believe they were younger than what she said.
    I would check the bones by her vent if I could, but she is the only one that is petrified every time I go near her, and runs away from me.

8. Lil Peeps

Lil Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2016

Also our neighbor had a leghorn hen with a really small comb. I have no idea if she was laying or not. But she also acted kind of insane. Her comb never grew any bigger. But he also takes terrible care of his chickens. This chicken was at the bottom of the pecking order and was always starving so we would always bring food over and feed her extra when we had time. But the last time we came over there we couldn't find her. I think she probably died. =( Our neighbor throws out all his chickens to be eaten if he catches them eating an egg. So I think she either got thrown out or she died from some other cause. She also looked like she was part blind. But your chicken sounds like it has got some sense since it does run from you.these chickens were never handled as chicks and this chicken would walk right up to us and let us pick her up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by