Wry neck adult hen how long for response after meds. Serious upside down head 3,4 days

Cuween

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2022
How long does it take a n adult hen with wry neck to get neck upright after treating with Vit E egg white selenium and B vits. This is day 3or 4. Couple times day she stands, head bolt upright, walks a foot to water and food, crumble in water egg white.I’ve been syringing Vit E and selenium 2xday on top of tongue. Quite difficult because her head and neck snap back to upside down.
Today she only had head vertical twice. Didn’t walk to water.
Please if anyone has tried feeding and treating hen with head on floor, you know how difficult and scary this is. So afraid she’s going to aspirate into lungs.
Very awkward when she tries to eat because head no matter how I try, is sideways or upside down.
Does it take week or longer for head to be upright after treatment?
I’m feeding her( trying to support head vertically) four times a day with liquified crumble, tiny grit,shelled sunflower seeds, meal worms and water with half t. Vinegar

Last edited:
I think it's somewhat promising that she can make her head straight to eat and drink. I have been there with favorite chicken twice. one seemed to recuperate then went downhill. I locked myself in the bathroom and cried my eyes out. The 2nd one seemed to have gotten pecked on the head, a silkie. He always had a great appetite . After about a week he got better and I put him back out with some gentle hens. Then he died from an attack from a wild animal. How sad!!! I have also had a few chicks that flipped their head over and humanely I euthanized them right away

I think it's somewhat promising that she can make her head straight to eat and drink. I have been there with favorite chicken twice. one seemed to recuperate then went downhill. I locked myself in the bathroom and cried my eyes out. The 2nd one seemed to have gotten pecked on the head, a silkie. He always had a great appetite . After about a week he got better and I put him back out with some gentle hens. Then he died from an attack from a wild animal. How sad!!! I have also had a few chicks that flipped their head over and humanely I euthanized them right away
Thank you for reply!!

It can take up to a couple of weeks to see improvement. I had a bird that was isolated for about 6 weeks with wry neck (though it took weeks to diagnose), and roughly the last 2 weeks of isolation she was getting vit E and B and selenium, before she was able to maintain enough balance to be allowed back with the flock.

She had other neurological and physical defects but did at least recover enough from that episode to live with the flock for another year or two before her other issues compounded enough that she had to be culled.

How old is she? Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? I would recommend feeding her moist food and water and scrambled egg, plus the vitamins (E 400 IU) and 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex) for at least 2 weeks. Many birds get better, but some don’t. Are you feeding a balanced chicken feed? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease?

How old is she? Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? I would recommend feeding her moist food and water and scrambled egg, plus the vitamins (E 400 IU) and 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex) for at least 2 weeks. Many birds get better, but some don’t. Are you feeding a balanced chicken feed? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease?
Born 25 may 2021 yes vaxxed Mareks. No new birds. Feeding layer crumble, moistened, shelled sunflower seeds

MY QUESTION IS is what is the longest time in days before I see significant improvement giving her Vit E, selenium and B vitamins, feeding her 4x a day. We’re now starting 4th day. Head is still upside down on the ground.

She ate the second day on her own. After that I have to sort of hold her head as vertically as possible and start her by putting bit of food on my fingurec

It can take up to a couple of weeks to see improvement. I had a bird that was isolated for about 6 weeks with wry neck (though it took weeks to diagnose), and roughly the last 2 weeks of isolation she was getting vit E and B and selenium, before she was able to maintain enough balance to be allowed back with the flock.

She had other neurological and physical defects but did at least recover enough from that episode to live with the flock for another year or two before her other issues compounded enough that she had to be culled.
Wow So was her head upside down on the ground that first four weeks before you started the last two weeks with treatment?

Wow So was her head upside down on the ground that first four weeks before you started the last two weeks with treatment?
Mine was a different looking case than what most people identify as wry neck, which is why I didn't realize it was wry neck until others on here helped diagnose it. If I recall, instead of just her head twisting, she was completely unable to balance herself and had her head, neck and chest on the ground while her tail was stuck in the air. I assumed it was some unknown neurological issue and gave her vit B but she didn't show improvement until vit E and selenium were added to the mix after 4 weeks.

Mine was a different looking case than what most people identify as wry neck, which is why I didn't realize it was wry neck until others on here helped diagnose it. If I recall, instead of just her head twisting, she was completely unable to balance herself and had her head, neck and chest on the ground while her tail was stuck in the air. I assumed it was some unknown neurological issue and gave her vit B but she didn't show improvement until vit E and selenium were added to the mix after 4 weeks.t
Thank you how did you feed her?

Back
Top Bottom