Wry neck and ataxia in frizzle hen

Fuzzybutthut2020

Hatching
Nov 18, 2020
I have a frizzle hen that is about 2yrs old. She is in a pen with my silkies. About a week and a half ago, I moved some new 10 week old silkie babies to that pen. This frizzle hen was acting normal until 5-6days ago. She started staying off by herself and was acting depressed. I started feeding medicated chick feed during this time, but had poultry cell in their water as I read that medicated chick feed can sometimes cause lack of vitamin absorption in silkies. I noticed that when this hen would eat she was turning her head sideways and she would stumble when she would walk. I ended up bringing her in the house and within 24hrs her head had twisted upside down and she was unable to walk. I started feeding her scrambled eggs with applesauce and vitamin E along with 1/2cc of poultry cell. She has has significant improvement and can now hold her head straight. She can eat and drink with little assistance, but gets tired easily. I take her outside for a few hours of sunshine daily. I was wondering when or if she will regain the ability to walk normal. I have also noticed she has watery stools, but am thinking this is due to her diet. Has anyone ever dealt with this?

As a fellow Silkie household.... your running luckier then most (us included) with regard to wry neck cases......

The search bar "wry neck" or something parallel with show you how many threads are here in the forum and all the folks who are having success etal.

once you read a few threads you will likely find some folks with wisdom pop up and others to add a tag to in your updated post here or there as a way to ask for help from these specific user ID's.... sorry I don't have any memorized at this time of night.... but, i wanted to make sure you have some info to run with in the morning... best of luck...

Back
Top Bottom