Wry neck? And how long to get better?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by henrietta101, Oct 30, 2016.

1. henrietta101

henrietta101 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    One week ago my now four week old silkie developed where she doesn't move much or if she does she moves backwards or falls over and her neck looks twisted and upside down. I've been treating it as wry neck, giving her the insides of vitamin E capsule three times per day, some tuna as I read that contains selenium and she likes it, and a multivitamin in a higher than prescribed dose. I regularly give her water. Sometimes I have to open her beak and give it to her when she has no interest. Other times she will partially open her beak and eat it. She won't drink herself. She eats a little bit of food but not much. Occasionally she will stand up straighter over the last few days and tries to hold her head straighter. It will last say 30 secs. We get excited then she goes back to being bad again.

1. From the photos and description is it wry neck?
    2. Is there anything else I should be doing?
    3. Does it normally take this long to treat? I'm wondering how long the little darling is going to take to get better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    1 person likes this.
  3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    I would add vitamin b and selenium.Make sure she is getting enough food too wry neck gets better the faster you treat it and that is wry neck.Ive dealt with wry neck for 7 months

4. henrietta101

Oct 8, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. It is with sadness that I have to report the death of our darling Annabelle. I tried really hard but have failed. I appreciate the responses and should another darling suffer I'll be better prepared.

5. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Sorry for your loss

1 person likes this.
  6. henrietta101

Oct 8, 2011
    Thank you. Yes it is always sad when they die.

7. MasterOfClucker

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Yes it is,I have to put mine down today after treating it for seven straight months

8. henrietta101

Oct 8, 2011
    Wow seven months. that was a huge commitment. Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by