1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Wry neck and treatment with Metacam---Update! Not wry neck!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NewToFarming, Jun 19, 2011.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I think my one of my silkie pullets has developed wry neck. I do not believe it is from a deficiency because I do supplement mine routinely and she has a good appetite. I have metcam on hand from a vet that was given to me for what he thought was a problem with inflammation on a different chicken previously. Do you think it would be OK to give the metacam to this pullet in case it was caused by an injury which is highly possible because some of the roos are rough??? I know metacam is an anti-inflammatory.
    Just wondering what your thoughts are on this?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi Lisa, I've heard of it being used in this application before. I haven't used it, and couldn't tell you the dosage, but I reckon it's worth a try.
    [​IMG]
    Erica

3. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks I do have the dosage from what the vet ordered for the other pullet BUT on further inspection of her...I don't believe it is wry neck! She has some sort of swelling on her right breast. It is too far over to be the crop and it actually feels like the swelling goes up to the side of her neck area. It kind of feels like a full or distended crop but definitely not in the same place as a crop would be. Maybe Air sac problems???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by