Wry Neck - Best Braces

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kyzmette, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Kyzmette

Kyzmette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    I just picked up a special needs chick with wryneck. Before anybody goes down that road, I believe in culling only as a last resort, when the bird gives up the fight and stops eating and drinking and trying to insure its own survival. This, however, is not a discussion for culling preferences, please.

I've looked in a lot of threads for braces, and seen a lot of good ideas. What are your preferred methods of neck bracing?

Also, I'd love to hear opinions on the efficacy of neck bracing - pros and cons.

And yes, I have already started vitamin treatments, but I know the breeder, and she would have already started her on standard treatments, too.

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    I've always used a foam donut to correct neck issues. I'm not too familiar with wry neck, but I used one on a pigeon and one on a star gazing peachick with good results. Mattress topper foam.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kyzmette

Kyzmette Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013

Thank you! I didn't think of that type of foam! It would probably breath FAR better than the rubberized foam for insulation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by