Wry neck by trauma 2 months later?

tiggerdagibit

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 29, 2017
Winston Salem, NC
So at the beginning of June, my little bantam (unknown breed) was attacked by her coop mates, protecting her baby I believe. I found her in the morning and brought her and baby inside. The whole back of her head and neck was injured, no skin and raw. I cleaned her up and treated her wounds and put her in a chicken wheelchair that I had for a previous chicken. I was surprised when she made it through the night and was eating and drinking well!
Fast forward to the beginning of August.. baby was a roo and moved outside. Mama has healed and some feathers are coming in and she’s doing well. Then one day she started holding her head to the side. Then it started twisting upside down a few days later. I had heard of wry neck but never seen it.
I’ve been giving her 400iu Vitamin E, raw egg, and nutri drench along with her food. She eats well although I have to help her more because she twists her neck upside down after each bite. She also quit drinking on her own so I give her syringe water and applesauce for water. It’s been about 3 weeks and she isn’t improving. Could the wry neck be related to the trauma even though it was 2 months later? If so, will the vitamin treatment still help? She was eating well so I’m not sure why it would be due to diet. Everything I’ve read says that the vitamins usually help quickly. I’m not sure what else to do. Any ideas?

Brandi

She's unable to walk this whole time?

Could be lasting neurological damage from the attack. Wry Neck is the name of a Symptom. Common causes of Wry Neck (symptom) seen in poultry is disease like Marek's, trauma/injury and vitamin/nutritional deficiency.

Vitamin Therapy is what's commonly used to treat Wry Neck. It may help or not.
I'd try it for a while longer to see if there's any improvement.

No she can’t walk. Her legs and feet have gotten stronger over this time, but she can’t hold herself up.

Thanks for your reply. I was kind of thinking of the same thing. I’ll continue the vitamins and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom