Wry neck chick! How often to give her food and water, and how much at a time

Once you get her on the vitamin E 400iu, she should improve in just one or two days. Meanwhile, allow her to rest in any position she wishes so as to cut down on her stress, which can contribute to her condition.

The most important thing you can do for her is to keep up her feedings of water and food. You can try giving her sugar water which can feed the brain and may help to ease the wry neck symptoms while the E does its work. (one teaspoon sugar to one cup water)

Way back in the olden days when I started on BYC, I recall some vets treated the condition with prednisone (hope I spelled that right). I used to tube feed puppies - was breeding dogs way back when. Had a couple very sad failures at first resulting in a pup aspirating the formula into it's lungs, and another where fed too much to a very skinny puppy and vet said it's stomach ruptured.:hit

Last edited:
Once you get her on the vitamin E 400iu, she should improve in just one or two days. Meanwhile, allow her to rest in any position she wishes so as to cut down on her stress, which can contribute to her condition.

The most important thing you can do for her is to keep up her feedings of water and food. You can try giving her sugar water which can feed the brain and may help to ease the wry neck symptoms while the E does its work. (one teaspoon sugar to one cup water)
I'm afraid she'll hurt herself trying to right herself like she does.

Often silkies with high domed skulls-have opening at the top that never hardened over. A bump or peck to that area can bring on wry neck or worse.

Back
Top Bottom