Wry Neck "cured" in one day - but won't eat or drink today - help ?!

lmyers

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2018
Hi All,

Flock of 6 hens: 2x 2year old Wyandottes, 2x 18 week old Sussex, 2x 16 week old Legbar/Blue Ameraucana cross (don't ask, re-home emergency). Have been slowly incorporating the three groups of birds into one larger coop with the last group isolated for a month.

Two weeks ago: Isolation didn't work - they have diarrhea, so with stool sample results in hand started treating Eimeria Mitis and Ascaridia Galli. Through this Maisy wan't as happy and robust as usual. Assumed it was the treatment and kept an eye on her.

Three days ago: I cleaned the coop - scrubbed it down with water/soap/bleach mix and widows open. Had to chase the birds out at one point, but it was dry when they came back in in the evening. Could she have caught a dose of bleach fumes?

Two days ago: Maisy's neck started bowing - like she had no strength to hold it up - exposed pin feathers and slight spasmodic shaking. Gave her a dog pen (had to leave the top open as her buddy, Daisy, won't leave her side) and to keep the pushy Wyandotte's off her.

Yesterday: I treated for wry neck and was able to feed her by holding a dish of scrambled egg & rice & yoghurt with 400 IU of vitamin E and a 25 mcg of Selenium. I also got her to drink water w/ electrolytes by holing a small dish under her beak. She didn't leave the pen unless I picked her up.

Today: Out of the pen this morning. No more neck bowing or shaking but she is just sitting, eyes closed, puffed up feathers, and will not eat or drink. She is fighting more too, twisting her head away when I try the food and drink in a small dish like yesterday. I don't seem to have enough hands to force feed the water by syringe, and her wattle is so small it's hard to hold it.

Suggestions please!!
I know I should continue the Vita-E but I can't get her to eat today

Hi,
I used Amperol to treat the Cocci... it's amazing. Two days ago I thought I'd loose her and yesterday I was just confused. She didn't eat or drink for me, but Maisy got out of the dog crate and joined the flock on the roosts last night. Today, she's out in the pen. It's cold & rainy so maybe a bit puffed up, but seems otherwise completely normal today.

I still have some suspicious diarrhea in the coop - orange & runny and white with green blobs??

Onwards!
Lesley

(sorry didn't get a pix of the poo)...

after several good days, she went downhill yesterday and today. Worse than ever. Won't eat. I am syringing fluid (water, electrolytes crushed selenium and VitE but not sure how much she needs. Not looking good.

The neck twisting is a neurological symptom. She may be suffering from Marek's and there is not much that can be done. Have you noted any bloat/swelling in the abdomen that would indicate a reproductive disorder?

Back
Top Bottom