1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WRY NECK HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brandy706, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Brandy706

Brandy706 New Egg

Mar 26, 2016
    Help, pretty sure well positive one of my 2 week old chicks Little Lucy has wry neck. After doing research I found that a Vit E and Selenium Drop can help, but I can't find them in any store. I tried local feed stores, Pet stores and Walmart. I found Vit e drops and started her on that right away but I am seeing that it does not asorb without the Selenium.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Any drug store (walgreens) will have selenium tablets and vitamin E oil. Just go easy on the selenium. I crush a tablet, put the E in a small container and mix with some of the crushed tablet, use a syringe without the needle to pull up the mix and give it orally.

3. Brandy706

Brandy706 New Egg

Mar 26, 2016
    Thank you, the vitamin suppliment I bought was at a tractor supply called Poultry Nutri-Drench which contains
    Lysine (min.) 0.2%
    Methionine (min.) 0.05%
    Calcium (min.) 0.4%
    Calcium (max.) 0.7%
    Vitamin A (min.) 22,400 iu/fl. oz.
    Vitamin D-3 (min) 5,610 Icu/fl. oz.
    Vitamin E (min.) 90 Iu/fl. oz.
    Feeding Instructions:
    Direct drinking water use 0.25 fl. oz. per gallon of water.

Is this good to use,with adding the Selenium? What amount of Selenium should I use, should I quarter the pill for Little Lucy, she's 2 weeks old.

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    90Iu is not enough vitamin E. You need the straight stuff.

5. Jujubeans2008

Jujubeans2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    We are currently battling Wry Neck for the first time. We are giving our little chick about 500mg, twice a day. We bought the gel caps, so we could cut the pill, and put it in a little bit of pedilyte (helps fight dehydration), and crushed a selenium pill into the liquid and syringe fed it. We noticed it yesterday morning, and it was REALLY bad. We didn't think he was going to pull through. The little chick is doing much better today. It is able to move its neck a little bit more, and it is a little more alert. Good luck to you!

6. Brandy706

Brandy706 New Egg

Mar 26, 2016
    Thank you!! I started the 400iu E yesterday 2 x a day with a quarter tab of selenium in pedilyte. I have been feeding her, her medicated chick feed crushed up in some plain greek yogurt with a drop of the Poultry Nutri-Drench for some added nutrition. She is completely twisted around and can't eat or drink, we hold her and support her head and place her food, drink and meds in a spoon and she does take it :) She does good when held but as soon as we put her back in her brooder she freaks out and runs backwards dragging her head under her. We are in day 5 now, I am hopeful that the higher dose of E will turn her around. We love her so much already, she is even named after my hubbys grandmother, she is little with lots of spunk.

7. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    We are on Day 3. We have seen slow progress with Nemo. She is able to hold her head up for short lengths of time, and her neck isn't as twisted as it once was. She still needs help eating though. She cannot eat on her own. Ours likes being held too. If she didn't have to be under a heat lamp to stay warm, I'd hold her while I'm around the house.

8. Brandy706

Brandy706 New Egg

Mar 26, 2016
    I would love to see some progress, I worry about the fact we did not have a high enough vitamin e the first few days.

9. Jujubeans2008

Mar 20, 2016
    Molino, Florida
    Just do your best. How much are you giving it now? We are giving 400mg twice daily.

10. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I've read that it can take up to a month to be out of the woods.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by