Wry Neck!!! HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Justuschicks, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Songster

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Does anyone have a cure or something for Wry neck? I have a Silkie chick that came down with it yesterday. I can get it to eat if I move its food around and will sort of drink if I syringe feed it. It just breaks my heart to see my baby like this. I have started giving it selenium and vitamin E diluted w/ water. Is there anything else I should do?

2. corliss

corliss In the Brooder

Mar 7, 2010
    I am not an expert but it sounds like your hen may have wry neck. There are lots of forum entries under Wry Neck so read a few and see if the symptoms sound correct. If that's what it is, you need to give those liquid baby vitamins (Poly Visol without iron) with a dropper, as well as squeeze some vitamin e down her throat. My RIR got this when she was just days old - she ran backwards with her head tucked between her legs, sometimes somersaulting backwards. Someone on the forum diagnosed the problem and I adminstered the liquid vitamins and vitamin e for about 5 days before she recovered. My chick wasn't eating either because she couldn't get her head to the food so I also gave egg yolk by dropper every few hours. Good luck.

3. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Hi there,

I have a bantam buff cochin that developed wry neck at about 2-1/2 or 3 weeks of age. I felt so awful for her & I did as others suggested--looked around and found other posts about it. I didn't have any baby poly-vi-sol vitamin drops handy, but I do have chicken vitamins/electrolytes & put that in the chicks' water. It took about 10 days, but she cleared up and is now quite an active little 5-week-old smartaleck ! She shows no signs of it now, so I think keeping your chick hydrated and giving her/him vitamins will do the trick.

Sending you & your chickie good vibes for a quick recovery! [​IMG]

4. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Songster

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Thank you so much. I am almost 100% sure she has wry neck. I do have the poly vi sol w/o iron. So I give that full strength? I also have the chicken electrolites and vitamin for the water so I have that in with her as well but like one of you said, she cant drink on her own. He has pooped a couple times so that is good....except that it is sticking to her since she isn't moving around. If this is something silkies are prone to getting, how do I keep them from getting this? They get the chicken vits in the water and get the medicated food so what else am I supposed to supplement. I tried feeding it eggs this morning but she didn't want to eat it. Poor baby. It is just so sad to see the baby like this. I feel bad to have her in a cage by herself (or himself, I don't know which yet) but I don't want the others walking all over her. Thanks for the advice.

5. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I've successfully treated several silkies with wry-neck. Poly-ViSol without iron is the best. Available at any grocery store by the baby food, make sure it's without iron. Then I just hold the silkie on my lap and gently lift the head and help support the neck so it's in the "normal" upright position, then I get a couple drops of Poly-Vi Sol on my finger and scrape it up under her beak which stimulates her swallow reflex.

I give 2-3 drops 4 times a day for a couple days. I also squirt a dropper full into her water dish so that she is getting a bit with each drink. The vitamin water does NOT replace the concentrated treatment. I usually see good results in 18 hours. Full recovery is 24 - 36 hours of treatment. Chicks bounce back faster than the adults, in my experience.

Good luck.

6. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    Quote:I wanted to add that if you are supporting her neck and holding a small food dish up where she doesn't have to reach down to get it, she can and probably will eat. I offer water the same way.

7. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Songster

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    I will try that. [​IMG] Thanks

8. FrenchToast

FrenchToast "Draft Apple Ridge" a Bit from Heaven

Jan 10, 2010
    UP North WI
    I just treated an older silkie chick (8 week old??) for wry neck.
    I've been told that if they have a vaulted skull they have a better chance of getting head trauma and getting wry neck.
    It is so sad. I was almost ready to tell hubby to put her out of her misery because it was so sad to watch but luckly I didn't.
    I kept her in a box right next to my computer chair so I could keep an eye on her (or him) I gave the poly vi sol w/out iron a few times but mostly made sure I kept her hydrated. I took the dropper from the vitamin bottle and held her so her head was upright and tilted a bit at an angle (which was easy because of the wry neck) Then I dropped the water on the side of her mouth inbetween the top and bottom beak. I waited for her to swallow then did it again, several times.
    I just put a bunch of starter crumbles on the floor of the box and she pecked at them.
    I never saw her try to drink so I continued giving her the water by hand.
    I would say it took 3-4 days for her to make a full recovery.
    Some days she was doing very good and then would relapse but had shorter occurances of the wry neck.
    Yes, pooping is good !!! I watched that as well. I waited a few days to put her back in with the group fully expecting to maybe see another relapse but I have not !!![​IMG]

I have to look real hard and look at their feet to see which one is it now. She/he made a 100% recovery.
    Good Luck and do keep us posted !!

9. augustwest

augustwest Chirping

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    Just thought I'd add that I used the baby vitamins to treat a 12 week old pullet. It took 3 days of being caged and getting 1/4 dropper of the vits twice a day. Day 2, I thought she was a goner for sure. Day 4, she was FINE. I piut them in her food everyday after that. That was 3-4 weeks ago and she's great now.

I read yo have to start them on the vits quickly.

10. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Songster

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Thank you. You have given me hope. Tried the poly vits and she/he liked them about as much as my kids did. yuck. I will press on and hope my baby recovers. I just went out to check on her and my barn kitty, who just happens to be the friendliest cat in the world, is sleeping next to the chick. He was watching me feed it earlier and sniffed the baby on the head and laid down and watched me purrring the whole time. I would never turn my back on him with the chick but I can still hope right. [​IMG] Here is a pic I took.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: