Wry Neck? Hypothermia?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bensamjo, Jan 9, 2014.

1. bensamjo

bensamjo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    I have a black tailed Japanese Bantam roo that has fallen ill for some reason. I read once that they are a cold-hardy breed but apparently they're not as cold hardy as I thought because after the below freezing temps we had 2 days in a row this week, I noticed he was limping Tuesday morning. I brought him inside to warm him but he has gone down hill rather quickly. He has held on for the last 2 days but seems to be on death's door. I don't know what else to do for him, short of "culling"... not my thing. I have him under a 75w light. I have to give him water w/ a medicine dropper bc he can't drink on his own. I have given him electrolytes and karo/water every hour today per vet instructions. He can move his wings and legs (but rarely does), opens his eyes sometimes in response to noise, but his neck will twist around nearly upside down (to the left). If I lay him on his left side, his neck will remain straight. Placing him on his right side, his neck will curl around upside down. I haven't tried poly-visol yet but hope to get to the store tomorrow for some sort of chicken vitamin/booster/something. Any ideas what may have happened to him? The two hens with him are fine but he's a bit smaller than them. They are all said to be about 3-4 years old, according to the guy I bought them from. Oh, and his poop is watery and sometimes has stringy green poo in it. If vitamins don't help (or any suggestions you all might can offer), I may end up having to pay a vet bill for them to just tell me there's nothing they can do for him. I hate to see him suffer but if there's something I can do to help, I want to at least try it. Any help, short of telling me to take him to a vet, will be appreciated!! Honestly, I didn't think he'd make it this long so I may actually end up at a vet tomorrow afternoon/Saturday but hope there's a "home remedy" I can try first! Thanks for your help!

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I'm not sure what would be wrong with him. If your desperate for him to live, I would recommend to bring him to a veterinarian. Hope he gets well soon!

3. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! x2 on BantamFan4Life's advice.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

Vitamins, especially vitamin B and selenium will help out greatly if it is wry neck. You might post this question in the emergency section here of BYC. If you have an avian vet nearby or a country vet, you might take the bird in tomorrow for a full exam.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your bird. :)

5. bensamjo

Jan 9, 2014
    thanks! i hate to see any of my birds die but this little roo has a special crow...too adorably cute to lose i guess.

6. bensamjo

Jan 9, 2014
    thanks...i don't know of any true avian vets locally but a couple that will see me from time to time with chicken questions...i will try the vitamins and see what i get. thanks again for ya'll help. :)

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I doubt this has anything to do with being cold. The cold may have aggravated the issue. I hope you get this solved soon. :)

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck to you.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    X 2 welcome to BYC. Good luck with your rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by